Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-04-2009

jimmd is on a distinguished road
hull cleaning

any suggestions for cleaning the hull of a 35 year old boat. i don't believe the POS ever did anything to the exterior. i don't think it will ever shine but i would like it to be at least clean. mostly surface dirt and oxidation. this would be done in the water. maybe someday i can make the outside look as good as the inside (almost like new) but not at this time.
thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2009

Pogo-2 is on a distinguished road
Goto a auto paint store and get a Presta Strata Buffing kit, it contains a Ultra cutting cream, polisher, wax. The kit costs about $120, also buy a 10" buffer, the kit contains 3 10" pads. I've done a 1976 32'Fuji Ketch, 1987 Newport 30 and a 1987 Bayliner 32' motoryacht. It's work to get the first buffing done, Newport took 8 hrs the fist year I did it. The second year only took 2 hrs to do the same areas.
Old 03-04-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
For less work and a "quick fix" get yourself a Poliglow kit... We are happy with it on the topsides, but have stopped using it on deck - it discolours and seems to pick up dirt where it's walked on or leaned against.

Welcome to Poliglow Products Canada!

The link is to the Canadian supplier, but it's out of the US originally.

At around $100 for a kit including Poliprep (very effective cleaner) and Poliglow (non buffered polish) it can be brought back in a good day's work.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-04-2009

jimq26 is on a distinguished road
I second the comments by Faster

We have used Poliglow for the past 5 years on our topsides and vertical deck/cabin/cockpit areas, and absolutely love the results. Our boat is 1973 vintage, and looks as good as any new boats we see in our harbour. I have converted a fair number of other "mature sailboats" to use it, and everyone who did has thanked me over and over. Follow the directions carefully and you will have fabulous results. Welcome to Poliglow Products Boat Polish Fiberglass Restoration - The Manufacturer for Over 15 Years!