Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-04-2009

northstarjim is on a distinguished road
atomic 4 damage?

I went to check my boat today (it is on the cradle) and was stunned to see about 12 inches of water and ice inside. There has been a lot of snow and rain this year and I haven't been able to check it for a few weeks. The water level was approx 2 inches above the oil fill cap, so I know water will have entered the case. I think it was just below the alternator. It was half way up the coil. The starter was submerged. I am feeling sick about it. How much damage is likely? Is it easy to flush water from the oilcase? What components are relatively watertight?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2009

bluwateronly is on a distinguished road
I hope you drained the oil and put some wd40 in the sparkplug holes. Dont let it sit it could freeze up. I am sure others with more experience will give you exact info on what to do but start soon.
Old 03-04-2009
not Sully or Dandelion

MorganPaul is on a distinguished road
Sorry to here that man. I have an old Atomic 4 myself.

You might be able to get answers at the Moyers web site.

Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Powered by vBulletin
Old 03-04-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The real question is did water freeze inside the engine. Water expands about 10% when it freezes and if it did, the damage could be pretty bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-04-2009
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Man, sorry about that Jim. While you wait for the Atomic 4 experts to weigh in, I would just second what bluwateronly said--definitely drain the oil. You'll see if you've got water in there. I would also pull the plugs and try to test for water in the cylinders, maybe even try to suck out anything in there. The WD40 sounds good.

Did the water get over the air filter?

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 03-04-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
The situation sounds bad but do not give up hope.
We had a flood in our cabin 5 years ago that got water in the engine oil. I won't divulge the reason for a the flood while on a mooring but suffice it to say it was salt water and nearly 6" above the cabin sole (floor). This was high enough for some water to get into the dipstick hole. Our engine wasn't completely flooded, plus it was summer so no freezing.
After removing the water from the cabin the engine started right up. Later, we checked the oil and found a milky color. Uh-oh! After a call to Don Moyer (see link previously posted) I went and changed the oil in the engine 3 times and each change came out clearer and clearer. Last oil change I put in Rotella T SAE 30 but for the quick oil changes I used cheaper oil.
Our engine is over 40 years old and is still ticking. I hope you have similar results.

Everybody has one:

Old 03-05-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Where is the boat located?

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 03-05-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
drain the oil, fill it up including the cylinders with oil. turn it over using either the crank start or a crow bar, just a little per day. after a few rotations drain and fill it with oil and marvel mystery oil. let it sit till spring, but you need to make sure it full to the top.

spring time drain oil put a quart of marvel and normal oil in then start it, let it get to temp, shut it off, drain oil fill, run it for a few days change oil.

that is the directions i got from moyer when i fixed a flooded and rusted solid engine, it took days to get it to go thru a full rotation, once it broke loose it spun fine. once in the water it was drained and refilled ran real smokey for a bit, needed new spark plugs too.

as for the starter, pull it off dunk it in a gallon of denatured alcohol. then take it for a check out. as for the alt they are cheap enough to replace
Old 03-05-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
In most any case you want to run the motor ASAP to prevent rusting of the cylinder walls

You have freshwater so it is much better than salwater if there is no freeze damage

The issues i see in the long term are that anything electric will have to be rebuilt as the trapped water will result in failure over the summer

I would check the dip stick to see if there was a lot of water inside, if so pump out the oil and change the filter

I don't know I it as high enough to enter the cylinders BUT in any case you DO NOT want to risk turning over the motor with the spark plugs in until this is know

Be very careful when turning over a motor with water in the cylinders as it will be forced out with a LOT of pressure that can cause personal injury

I have to leave now good luck

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-05-2009

northstarjim is on a distinguished road
Angry

Thanks all,

I'm sure water didn't get high enough to enter the cylinders. I do know it is in the oil though. I pumped all the water I could out of the boat but there is still a large amount of ice in there. I'll have to put a heater in there to melt it. I am in eastern Canada - still cold here. What about the transmission? I assume oil could have entered this oil too? Maybe I'll get a small outboard this year. I wonder if insurance would cover this damage?