Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-05-2009
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
Stereo question

I searched, but couldn't quite find my answers...

I need the whole setup...have nothing right now.
Plan to get a normal car-ish stereo, but with xm/sirius....not waterproof, as it will be in the cabin...if it gets wet there, I've got bigger problems.

Questions:
Is a remote worth it? For ipod?

How many speakers? 2 outside? Any inside?
Anything special for the outside ones? Is 'water resistant' what I need?

Any recommendations appreciated!

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-05-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hey Sailchick—

I'd recommend that you put two speakers in the cabin and two outside. You can use the fader to control how much goes to which set..

A remote in the cockpit is worth its weight in gold, especially if it gives you control over your iPod. Recently found out that some of the automotive Sony units can use the waterproof wired Sony remotes.

Yes, you should have water resistant speakers. If the speakers are not box mounts and are being mounted in a section of the coaming that opens to the interior of the boat, I would highly recommend that you mount them beneath deckplates. The reason for this is simple. If the boat gets pooped in heavy weather, the speakers can become a very large opening for water to enter the boat's interior if you can't seal them off.

Cam's got a good thread on speakers, and I'll see if I can dig it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-05-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
My only issue with cockpit speakers is that they require cutting holes in the cockpit side walls or into the back side of the cabin. If the boat takes on water the speakers could be pushed in and flood the interior of the boat. This may or may not be a concern depending on what conditions you expect to sail in. While we never "expect" those conditions; but we should always be prepared for them.

Another option would be some small waterproof speakers that are in their own enclosures and on mounting brackets. It won't look as clean and the speakers could be a hazard for sheets or bumps/bruises if not located in an out of the way place (like inside the coaming boxes).

As far as headunits; any good car stereo will do; you don't need a "Marine" stereo because most are not waterproof anyway.
Old 03-05-2009

Islander30Bahama is on a distinguished road
SailChick

There are many options out there for stereo systems. If want something that has satelite you will need to run the antenna outside. I have seen many people do this on the stern stanchions. In my boat I plan on running four speakers two will be in the cabin and I will have two that I can remove from the davit that I plan on building. So yes two in and two out is what I would do. you can always control them with the fade control within the stereo audio controls. The reason I am mounting my outside speakers in a removable format is that I really dont want to drill 6 inch holes in my cockpit. If was to do some off shore sailing and something were to punch through a speaker cone you have just opened up a 6 inch hole for water to get in. Just don't go too crazy and draw to many amps.

Jeff
Old 03-05-2009
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
So...would you recommend box speakers for inside and outside? (less holes in boat all around)

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Old 03-05-2009

Islander30Bahama is on a distinguished road
That is what I plan to do in mine. Who likes to drill holes in a boat anyway?
Old 03-05-2009
Senior Mumble

jbondy is on a distinguished road
FWIW - We mounted enclosed exterior speakers under the helm seat, facing forward. They're virtually invisible and sound great everywhere except at the helm, where I prefer just hearing the wind and water anyway.

Some stereos require power for the unit to remember presets. Some don't The latter is easier on the batteries.
Old 03-05-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I used box speakers inside the cabin, but used flush mount ones in the cockpit. The transom of the cockpit, where I located the speakers, drains into the rudder trunk, which is sealed from the rest of the boat, so there's little risk of anything happening if the speakers get damaged in a pooping.

Here's a photo of the cockpit speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailChick20 View Post
So...would you recommend box speakers for inside and outside? (less holes in boat all around)

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-05-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I still have my stereo in the box waiting to be installed with 4 flush mount speakers. It came with a remote and I-pod connection but no sattelite. It is a marine grade FWIW, even has the plastic speakers. I had to buy the extra two speakers to make four and the oem two were not sheilded so I will install them way forward. The extra two I aquired are well sheilded so will not affect navigation stuff with the heavy magnets. I plan to drill and cut holes inside for all four speakers and the control head, sure hope it comes out nice. I do not plan to have speakers outside since I should be able to hear 200 watts of sound from four speakers coming out the companionway door. Another consideration is that the sound is more contained inside whereas in the cockpit the sound will just dissipate out over the water and either annoy other boaters or just not sound as good as it would inside. I doubt I will be listening to music while underway anyways, it is mostly for enjoying while tied up somewhere.
Old 03-05-2009

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
If you get box speakers for the cockpit...consider having an extra set of speaker wires in the forward cabin that can be fed through the forward hatch. At anchor you can open the hatch, run the wires out to the speakers and place them up forward so you get music over the entire boat. Nice at anchor, especially if you don't have close neighbors.