looking for compatible engine mounts for a Yanmar YSB8 - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-10-2009

mepsnbarry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.furborough View Post
I would suggest using the original Yanmar mounts, if however you require an aftermarket mount, R&D make a range of mounts, including mounts for Yanmars with Yanmar spec'd mounting holes. In the USa they are available through PYI Inc. Max-Prop PSS Shaft Seal Seaview Radar Mounts R&D
When we bought our boat last year, it had a brand-new 3YM30 mounted on PYI mounts. One of the mounts had failed. The engine had 4 hours on it, and I believe it had never left the dock, so vibration was not the cause. As for time - the boat had been sitting for less than a year.

The problem is, Yanmar mounts are very tall. If you have a clearance problem, it's awfully tempting to use aftermarket mounts instead of rebuilding the beds.

Is it possible that Poly Flex or some other company might use more sophisticated materials to get the same results (the perfect blend of soft and stiff) that Yanmar mounts get with height?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- limericks, essays, and photos by Meps 'n' Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- recipes for cooks at sea and on land
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road

This mount design will keep the motor where it belongs when the sh!t hits the fan.

Anything else is ---

Last post on this subject.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 03-12-2009

mepsnbarry is on a distinguished road
Does that mean your last post on this subject, or you want the rest of us to cease and desist, too? I'd say the topic of engine mounts is always open to discussion, at least until I figure out why mine failed without actually being used.

- limericks, essays, and photos by Meps 'n' Barry

- recipes for cooks at sea and on land
Old 03-13-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Naw

Just my last post on a better motor mount.

What failed on your motor mount and do you have it?

It could be that it is the the first one tightened and then the motor was twisted or moved fore and aft or side to side. This would induce a tearing motion even with out the motor running. If you still have it, try putting the pieces together (the rubber will kinna interlock) to see what it looked like before it failed, it will give you a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepsnbarry View Post
Does that mean your last post on this subject, or you want the rest of us to cease and desist, too? I'd say the topic of engine mounts is always open to discussion, at least until I figure out why mine failed without actually being used.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 03-13-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
With..

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit View Post

This mount design will keep the motor where it belongs when the sh!t hits the fan.

Anything else is ---

Last post on this subject.

I know this is your last post but..

With the hundreds of thousands of sailing posts on the many sailing forums you'd think you'd hear of this problem, where the motor breaks free and flails around. I can't recall reading about an engine falling out of its mounts? Can you point us to some discussion on this inherent problem?

I have been in four separate knockdown incidents, in rough conditions, in my life (this is not counting spinnaker broaches while racing). In not a single one of them did the motor tear free or even break a mount. In one storm we were knocked flat three times, and to the spreader too many times to count, and other than cabinet latches failing and pots, pans and other assorted things breaking free the motor stayed put.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.