Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-05-2009
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
Washdown pump

What GPM or PSI do you recommend?

This will be used to clean deck, and for fresh water showering.

(can you tell I'm ordering all my project supplies? lol)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Is your boat in freshwater or are you going to use a freshwater tank? Usually "washdown" systems are plumbed to a thru-hull which makes the system saltwater. I don't understand why you would want to rinse the boat with salt water regularly; but if the decks are very dirty or crusted with dry salt you can rinse it down with saltwater. I always just rinse the boat in the slip; or if I'm pulling up an anchor thats muddy I scrub it with a deck brush while it hangs from the bow before pulling it aboard.

In reading the reviews of the ShurFlo over on WM I would stay away from them; looks like they only last 1 year if used with saltwater. The Jabsco Parmax 4 looks like a good one (here on SailNet).
Old 03-06-2009
Leap! The net will appear

SailChick20 is on a distinguished road
Sorry...I should have specified. This is fresh water (Lake MI)...so I will use it to wash down the decks and on rare occasions...take a shower.

Thanks for the response!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. "
~ Cadet Maxim
Old 03-06-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Oh; that's nice. Just tee off one of your raw water inlets and then run a line to a deck fitting. Great perk living on a great lake!
Old 03-07-2009
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
For your situation you can just hang a hose over the side of your boat in the water, with the other end connected to the wash down pump. The pump will have a enough lift to pump the water up to the deck, and you won't have to plumb anything through the boat.

I have this same setup on our boat, and we keep the wash down pump, hose, and spray nozzle with hose all in the recessed deck bow locker with the windless.
Old 03-07-2009

scottbr is on a distinguished road
I bought the Aqua Jet Wash Down kit 5.2 by Johnson Pump up to 70 psi. Defender has them on sale.

Works great for getting mud and crud off the anchor and for cleaning the deck. I disconnected my through-hull from the macerator and used it, since we will never use the macerator.

I installed the pump in a dry bildge beside the shower sump pump and ran a hose to a deck hose fitting in the anchor locker. I wanted to keep the pump close to the electrical panel. I do not know if the pump should or should not be installed at a point below the waterline since it is connected to a through-hull. Maybe someone can confirm or correct me on this.

Last edited by scottbr; 03-07-2009 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.