SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   I didn't want a project but but I have one (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/52247-i-didnt-want-project-but-but-i-have-one.html)

slocum2 03-08-2009 09:32 AM

I didn't want a project but but I have one

This all started by chasing a leak from the cabintop hatch. First I thought I would only have to replace the headliner but before I knew it I was pulling off squares of iner skin and found a good portion of the cabintop core (plywood) was rotted. A previous owner had drilled holes through the exterior skin and plugged with epoxy. This did nothing except place little stalagmites of epoxy throughout the cabin top.

So here's the question(s), I have removed a good portion of the inner skin and found some rot, which I have scraped off. I also found a lot of wet wood that is firm.
1) Do I replace the whole cabin top core?
2) Can I use GIT ROT or ROT DOCTOR on the solid stuff and just replace the really rotted plywood? Will straight epoxy work better than what I just mentioned?
3) Will the core that I left between the exteror/interor plywood ever dry out?
4) I have cut the interor skn away in pannels, can I put these back up, or use new cloth?

Any input is appreciated. I tried to upload a photo but was unsuccessful.

Thaks

sailingdog 03-08-2009 10:06 AM

Quote:

A previous owner had drilled holes through the exterior skin and plugged with epoxy. This did nothing except place little stalagmites of epoxy throughout the cabin top.
THis is why I say re-coring the area properly makes far more sense than trying to drill and fill with thickened epoxy.

Before doing anything else, you have to figure out where the water that rotted the core came from and deal with that. You really do need to replace the entire core, because, the chances of core material drying out once saturated is almost zero.

I would recommend re-glassing, not re-using the pieces you've cut away. The reason for this is simple. The longer and more continuous the glass fibers in a laminate are, the stronger it will be.

I'd use end-grain balsa for the new core, as it is lighter than plywood, and doesn't have the disadvantages as a core material that plywood does. I'd also recommend tapering the core material and putting solid glass at any points you have deck hardware coming through the deck.

slocum2 03-08-2009 07:27 PM

Thanks for the response.

The previous job left hundreds of 1/4 inch holes in the top deck but never penetrated the wet wood underneath. There is simply no easy way to do the job right without removing the rotted/wet wood, which means cutting away a layer of fiberglass. Scary

buckeyesailor 03-08-2009 08:14 PM

If you need any 1/2" Balsa core, I have plenty.....

pay shipping and tell me how much you need....it's yours.