Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-11-2002

pearsalls2 is on a distinguished road
Fresh water tank slime

Well I think the Blob has been tamed. I used the agressive bleach approach and flushed all the lines. I think the bugger was living in the hot water lines, at least that produced the most crud after the bleach sat for awhile. I also removed and cleaned all the aerators, mucho crud. So at least for now the good guys have won. Will monitor closely for any reappearance, and many thanks to all for their time and suggestions.

Has anyone else tried the hydrogen peroxide for maintence? It would taste better than chlorine!

Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-07-2009

RIGMAN60 is on a distinguished road
Poly Pipe As A Replacement For Fresh Water System (galley) Existing Braided Hose? Brand,ease Of Use? Feeding Bending Fittings /
Thanks
Old 09-07-2009

Volkhard is on a distinguished road
Interesting topic with lots of information. But, what needs to be done to keep a system fresh that is outfitted with an unaccessible Aluminum tank? For what I Know, bleach is out of the question .... I haven't developed any slime or odors but I am concerned and want to do a preemptive strike BEVOR the problems manifests itself ...
I hope, I am not hijacking the threat. I assume I am not the only Aluminum tank boat-owner following this threat with interest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Florida Sailor

ODYSSEY
Island Packet 37 (hull53)
Old 09-07-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
according to peggy hall a stronger but short dose of bleach is okay for AL tanks. she said its no different that years of low dose from public water.

i have a fiber glass tank and i gave it a real strong ( like 1 gallon to 36 of water ) does over night to kill it all then drained and refilled with fresh several times.

i had clear slime, not black. it did come back very slightly but sense i am now using the tank a lot more its not a problem. i know in the navy ( subs ) our tanks had clear slime and they tasted okay, when/if it got cleaned out the water tasted terrible for a few months
Old 09-07-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
People have expressed concern about using this method to recommission aluminum tanks. While bleach (chlorine) IS corrosive, the effect of an annual or semi-annual "shock treatment" is negligible compared to the cumulative effect of holding chlorinated
city water in the tank for years. Nevertheless, it's a good idea to mix the total amount of bleach in a few gallons of water before putting it into either a stainless or aluminum tank.
quoted from here
Old 09-09-2009

DropTop is on a distinguished road
I put water purification tablets (the kind used when hiking or camping) in my poly tank every time I refill it. I normally use about 60-70% of the dose they reccomend for the # of gallons I fill because I carry bottled water for drinking and only use the house water for cooking (boiling water only) or washing hands / brushing teeth. I have not yet had any cases of slime or odor in the water yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.