Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-12-2009

andyjen is on a distinguished road
Leaky Catalina 22

Does anyone have a trick to locate leaks coming in the upper half of my 1984Catalina 22 cabin. I am not sure if its a window, stanchion mount, shroud mount or where exactly it is coming from. The shelf above the settee is often soaked and the settee it self gets wet. Thank you, Andy on Seneca Lake.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
I have heard of folks sealing up the cabin and blowing in air with a shop vac or leaf blower. Then go around deck fittings/windows with a sprayer with soapy water and look for the bubbles.
Old 03-12-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
The soapy water trick with a leafblower works if you can seal up the cabin enough. In fact, it looks like Hunter Marine uses this method on their new production boats based on the recent factory tour thread elsewhere on the forums.

If you still can't located the leak, you might start by rebedding the chainplates. It's been my experience that they are often the culprit because of the amount of pressure exerted on them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-12-2009

kwaltersmi, what do you recommend rebedding the chainplates with?
Old 03-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Do the chainplates have a cover plate that slips over them and sits flat on the deck?? Then use Butyl Rubber Tape, which you can get at most glass shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjen View Post
kwaltersmi, what do you recommend rebedding the chainplates with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-12-2009
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
I've heard good things about the butyl tape, but you can also use 3M's 5200 marine adhesive/sealant. It's available at West Marine, Boater's World, Home Depot, etc.

Old 03-12-2009
Seen Your Mamba

AboardIndigo is on a distinguished road
I kept getting a wet spot on the starboard settee/quarter berth cushion. I waited for a storm and then sat in the boat. After a bit I saw a slow drip starting from between the head of a screw that went up through the cabin roof and into the hatch slider rail.

I don't know if butyl tape would work so well on the C22 - the chainplates are really 3/8" (or 1/2" if they've been upgraded) eye-bolts.

By the way - I used 4200 on my chainplates/eye-bolts after inspecting them. 5200 seems a bit too forever for me.
Old 03-15-2009

leaky Catalina 22

Very interesting Indigo, That is where my worst leak is, I will check that slider out. Does your Cat.22 have a stereo and if so where did you mount the exterior speakers? Would you use 3m 4200 to set the windows(aluminum to hull)I do not want to spend 80.00 for the rebuild kit at Cat. direct...........Seneca Lake is my Paradise!!
Old 03-15-2009

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Check the trim around the hatch slider

I had a similar leak on my Catalina 22 that was dripping on the port side table. There's a piece of plastic trim that wraps around the inside of the opening under the hatch slider. Sitting inside when it was raining I saw a drop start under the trim and follow the ceiling for a bit before dropping on the table. I bedded the trim in a bit of silicon and the drip went away.

Jim

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 03-15-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
I've got a drip problem as well, though mine seems to be coming from under the metal rail -- I guess it's the toe rail -- on the port side. (I used the starboard side photo because it's my best detail shot.)

Two questions:

What is the proper way to reseat those screws? Remove them, put in a bit of 4200 and reseat? Or something else?

Would running a bead of something (4200?) along the edge of the rail where it meets the deck be a worthwhile project?
Attached Thumbnails
Leaky Catalina 22-toerail.jpg  

Monrovia, MD