Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-12-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Windline Inc -- Thank You

I wanted to publicly thank Windline, a California-based designer and manufacturer of marine components. They recently helped me out with one of their products.

Our boat has two bow anchor rollers that feed to a large split anchor locker. We also have a second stern anchor locker, with a third roller mounted on the caprail at the transom. You can see that third anchor roller mounted just below the old Lifesling (since replaced by a newer, compact inflateable Lifesling) in this pretty poor photo:

That stern anchor roller is made by Windline. They designate it the DR-1 Stern anchor Roller. Here is a better image of it, borrowed from Windline's website:

It is a nice piece of hardware. In addition to leading our stern anchor rode through that roller, we also use it as a fairlead for our floating dinghy tow-line. The tow-line comes from the bow of the dinghy, through the roller/fairlead, thence to a deck cleat.

Sometimes we forget to get the tow-line all set up ahead of time, so that process occasionally occurs enroute. It is one of those chores the kids are responsible for.

IF you take a look at the image, you can see that all you really have to do is loosen that wing nut a bit and then the flat stainless cap (which keeps the rode captive) pivots out of the way. Once that's done, you can drop the rode or tow line right into the roller, pivot the stainless cap back in place, tighten the wing-nut and you're done.

Last season, one of my kids got a little carried away and over-loosened the wing-nut. Kerplunk, splash, bye-bye wing nut.

It's been on my list of things to do. So last week I called Windline to see if I could get the size of the wingnut (we live a fair distance from our boat, and I did not have the measurement). Instead, they insisted on sending me a replacement, at no charge.

Yesterday two replacement wingnuts arrived in the mail, one for a spare.

I know those wingnuts and even the postage didn't cost them much, but servicing a customer like that does take time from their operations. It's refreshing to get such good service, especially since I was not the original customer (this roller is original equipment on our boat).

Nice solid hardware, nice customer service. Thanks Windline!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2009

Dutch1951 is on a distinguished road
That's a nice looking unit! I think I would drill a small hole in one of the "wings" on the wing nut and attach it with a short hunk of line to the boat. More outfits need to provide service like these guys as well.
Old 03-12-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
JRP—

One point about the inflatable LifeSling. It tends to float a lot higher than the non-inflatable versions, and is more difficult to get to the person, since it produces a lot less drag. It is also affected by wind a good deal more than the non-inflatable versions. Just something you should be aware of.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-12-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Good to hear that there are still lots of companies who care about on-going customer service.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie