Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-13-2009

matt2 is on a distinguished road
Stainless TIG Welding Equipment?

Any one carry there or know anything about small portable TIG welding equipment?

I have seen a v-small TIG welder, but not sure where to find something like it or whether they are practical on boat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2009
Swansea, MA

pfatyol is on a distinguished road
Matt,

You can try:

Lincoln Electric

The problem with a Tig unit (besides the power required for plug in units) is that you need to also have the bottle of argon. I would actually suggest a small mig unit that can use shielded wire. But, I have not seen shielded 308 wire in my travels, but it might be available.

I have large Tig and Mig units and find it easier to bring the parts home. (220v, bottles, and just the weight of my equipment).

Best regards,

S/V "Fat-Kat"
C&C 32, Hull #237
Mt. Hope Bay
Old 03-13-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
I like the small Miller units the best and the Aluminium argon bottle is used buy most people who have to carry them in and out a lot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2009

Thanks, I had a look at the brands suggested, but the look a bit large, esp compared to the one I saw.

Does anyone carry small stainless welding equipment on their boat?

Last edited by matt2; 03-16-2009 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-18-2009
Well-wisher

pschoonveld is on a distinguished road
I own a Lincoln Electric 175 TIG unit and they are huge. Some of the new inverter based gear is smaller, but I can't think of a single reason to travel with a welder, unless that's your profession.

In truth, I dropped $1400 on my TIG and can't imagine a larger waste of cash. I've done some fun projects, but a MIG at half the price would have been a better purchase.

If you really needed something, a little portable brazing outfit would probably do you better.
Old 03-25-2009

TIG vs MIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschoonveld View Post
I own a Lincoln Electric 175 TIG unit and they are huge. Some of the new inverter based gear is smaller, but I can't think of a single reason to travel with a welder, unless that's your profession.

In truth, I dropped $1400 on my TIG and can't imagine a larger waste of cash. I've done some fun projects, but a MIG at half the price would have been a better purchase.

If you really needed something, a little portable brazing outfit would probably do you better.
A few years ago I saw a small TIG unit in a SS welders shop. The unit was itself SS and about 5 inches x 5 inches and about 18 inches long and easily portable.

I have several small welding jobs, which would cost easily more than the cost of the welding equipment.

A long time ago I worked as a welder's assistant for a few months, and did a bit of welding, but not SS. I might do a tech course on SS welding. Someone else working on a boat (now left - circumnavigated then sold the boat) did this and did all there own welding at a fraction of the cost it would have been otherwise.

As I understand MIG welding SS causes a lot of splatter and smoke which makes it hard to see the weld, so the results tend to be not as good.

Last edited by matt2; 03-26-2009 at 02:36 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.