Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-14-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Are you sure you are removing all the old oil during the change?

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
At a diesel seminar last week the mechanic said that he would rather see the oil level near the bottom mark than the top. He noted that people with Yanmars tend to overfill them which causes problems.
Why specifically Yanmar owners? I resemble that remark! The 2 quart spec in the manual is for a 7 degree installation. My boat is a Yankee and the Yanmar replaced a A4. The engine is mid ships and the prop exits about 5 feet behind the engine, literally out of the keel. It looks like the motor might be mounted steeper than 7 degrees. I wonder if that accounts for the different dipstick. My high low marks are about 3 inches apart. The example in the manual shows the marks much closer. Hard to believe some dipstick actually replaced the dipstick with the wrong dipstick, but then.....
Old 03-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit View Post
Are you sure you are removing all the old oil during the change?
Yes. Besides, if i wasn't, it would make the level read high, not low, right?
Old 03-14-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Why specifically Yanmar owners? I resemble that remark! The 2 quart spec in the manual is for a 7 degree installation. My boat is a Yankee and the Yanmar replaced a A4. The engine is mid ships and the prop exits about 5 feet behind the engine, literally out of the keel. It looks like the motor might be mounted steeper than 7 degrees. I wonder if that accounts for the different dipstick. My high low marks are about 3 inches apart. The example in the manual shows the marks much closer. Hard to believe some dipstick actually replaced the dipstick with the wrong dipstick, but then.....
You've got the wrong dipstick.

The high/low marks should be about 3/4" apart, or thereabouts -- no more than 1".

Somebody else in your marina must have a 2GM. Borrow their dipstick and re-calibrate yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-15-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Yep

Sorry I read the post wrong.

Is there a part number on the blade of the dipstick so that you can check it is the correct one?

Quote:
Yes. Besides, if i wasn't, it would make the level read high, not low, right?

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 04-15-2009

Got an answer!

Emailed a Yanmar service/training center in NJ w/ pictures of the motor installation and the dipstick. Here is their response:
"It is our recommendation that you fill the crankcase oil to the "Full"
mark on the dipstick. This will give you correct lubrication under all
conditions and engine angles."
This makes sense to me so I'm going with it. The range of opinions I received was amazing, including one from Yanmar that made no sense at all. BTW, the dipsticks on Yanmar 2GM's differ. I have a dock mate who has the same motor and dipstick I do (2 1/2" between high and low marks). His motor is mounted with a mere 3 degree angle, compared to mine at 10 degrees. So not all are 3/4" apart.
Old 04-15-2009

Got an answer!

Emailed a Yanmar service/training center in NJ w/ pictures of the motor installation and the dipstick. Here is their response:
This makes sense to me so I'm going with it. The range of opinions I received was amazing, including one from Yanmar that made no sense at all. BTW, the dipsticks on Yanmar 2GM's differ. I have a dock mate who has the same motor and dipstick I do (2 1/2" between high and low marks). His motor is mounted with a mere 3 degree angle, compared to mine at 10 degrees. So, not all are 3/4" apart.
Old 04-15-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
This makes sense to me so I'm going with it. The range of opinions I received was amazing, including one from Yanmar that made no sense at all. BTW, the dipsticks on Yanmar 2GM's differ. I have a dock mate who has the same motor and dipstick I do (2 1/2" between high and low marks). His motor is mounted with a mere 3 degree angle, compared to mine at 10 degrees. So, not all are 3/4" apart.
That is interesting.

Would you care to share the advice you received from Yanmar?

Also, according to my Service Manual, the 2 qt oil capacity for the 2GM is for an engine installed with an angle between 8 and 15 degrees.

It makes sense that there could be more than one dipstick for the same engine, depending on installation angle. But I would have thought that any variation in dipstick was to allow for a correct reading of the oil level based on installation angle, rather than for a different quantity of oil.

Another possibility is that you have a larger/deeper oil pan that allows for a greater lubricating oil reserve. I've never seen that mentioned in my Yanmar documentation, but I know Betamarine has something similar....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 04-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
That is interesting.

Would you care to share the advice you received from Yanmar?

Also, according to my Service Manual, the 2 qt oil capacity for the 2GM is for an engine installed with an angle between 8 and 15 degrees.

It makes sense that there could be more than one dipstick for the same engine, depending on installation angle. But I would have thought that any variation in dipstick was to allow for a correct reading of the oil level based on installation angle, rather than for a different quantity of oil.

Another possibility is that you have a larger/deeper oil pan that allows for a greater lubricating oil reserve. I've never seen that mentioned in my Yanmar documentation, but I know Betamarine has something similar....
When someone in this thread said "why not contact Yanmar?" I felt silly. Why didn't I think of that?! It's funny, but because the boat builder is long out of business, I'm not used to thinking in those terms with regard to the boat!
Anyway, I emailed Yanmar and estimated a 15 degree installation. When I actually measured it later, it turned out to be 10. In an case, Yanmar stated 15 degrees was the absolute maximun installation angle. Ironically, they then stated that if two quarts worked for the previous owners, they would advise me to do the same. Not very scientific! I expected them to say something like; "a 15 degree installation requires __ liters of oil. As I stated in an earlier post, my manual specifies a little over two quarts for a 7 degree installation. But yes, Yanmar must use different oil pans which is fine with me. A larger oil reservoir is better as far as I'm concerned. It's just strange it's not reflected in my manual which looks original. According to the surveyor that referred me to the place in NJ, they have probably seen every type of Yanmar installation ever done. They apparently didn't think the dipstick was unusual. Just goes to show - can't believe everything you read!
Old 04-16-2009

codmander is an unknown quantity at this point
probly motor angle 8% best 15% max,,, could change your stick reading no matter 2 quarts for that motor than again took me a week just to find the dam dip stick .............(((outboard guy)))

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.