Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-14-2009

sailingdeac is on a distinguished road
Datamarine Fluxgate compass alternative?

I need a Datamarine fluxgate compass for my old Datamarine Link 5000. I doubt I can find one. I need information about how to connect another fluxgate to the Link 5000. I have a Autohelm fluxgate with a five wire attachment to the Autohelm. I am sure two wires must be power. The Link 5000 has only two connections for a fluxgate. Does anyone have information about what the Link 5000 compass input requirement is, or what the Autohelm fluxgate output is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2009

I got this response from DMI, which repairs datamarine instruments

The L500 compass is long gone. The LINK 5100 will not recognize a
NMEA0183 or NMEA2000 data sentence. The only compass output that will
work with your LINK 5000 must have a N+1 output. It is an old output
that is not used anymore. The only company that may still make one is
KVH.

Anybody have any ideas about a used KVH? Or what type KVH would have the N+1 output?
Old 03-16-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
The AutoComp 1000 employs KVH's breakthrough digital fluxgate compass technology to provide precision heading data to an array of systems, including autopilots, GPS, video charts, radars, computers, and other electronic instruments. Designed as a remote sensor, the AutoComp 1000 can be mounted in a magnetically "clean" location (e.g., away from speakers, motors, wiring bundles, and other sources of changing magnetic fields), and its continuous automatic compensation feature ensures that the most precise heading data (within ±0.5°) is available at all times. The AutoComp 1000 is fully compatible with the NMEA 0183 output standard and a universal interface card is available for use with other interface standards. AutoComp 1000S is a ±45° gimballed, free-floating coil version for sailboats and AutoComp 1000P is a ±25° strap-down, free-floating coil version for power boats.

Highlights:

* Remote sensor with continuous autocompensation ensures reliable heading data at all times
* Accurate to within ±0.5°
* Fast 10 Hz NMEA 0183 standard output compatible with other ARPA radars, autopilots, and other electronic systems; optional interface card available for other outputs
* Options include mounting bracket and extension cables
* Variants for use aboard sailboats and power vessels as well as in OEM applications

I have one and getting any info out of them is a bit hard as there phone is allways busy becasue there TracVision systems are the big sellers now

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2009

Thanks for the reply, but the problem is in the specs you listed... "NMEA 0183 output" The link 5000 only accepts N+1 from the fluxgate. (not that I know what N+1 is
Old 08-20-2009

belwoodny is on a distinguished road
/Dear Tommays:
I try to connect an AUTOCMP to a Raymarine E120, via NMEA. I also use a multiplexor because the SEATALK input of the E120 seem to be out. I receive everything OK from the RS125 GPS antenna. I can't get anything from the K1000. The great poeple ( really - no sarcasm here ) told me that I should have a voltage variation at the NMEA OUT of the K1000. This is a brand new unit as the previous one had given me the same problems. Can you give me any direction ? Thank you !
Old 08-20-2009

I forgot to say that I will try to interface this with a SIMRAD autopilot. sorry: this is a client ... I would just take my boy scout compass: it is enough for me
Old 08-20-2009

Autocomp K1000 to E120

Sorry: I needed two posts in the forum before being allowed to post an image.

This of course relates to my problems about connecting the K1000 to the E120.
Any help would be more than appreciated!
- robert -
Old 10-08-2009

tcalef is on a distinguished road
Fluxgate Compass

I have 2 fluxgate compass units. If you would like you can have one for the price of shipping.

Let me know if you still need it.

-Tom
Old 07-30-2010

bigwalt is on a distinguished road
Fluxgate compasses

Tom:
Do you still have any of these units? Are they DataMarine ? I'm in need of one that will work with either a datamarine link5000 or datamarine D-3500-LD system
Old 07-31-2010

Again, the fluxgate compass that is required for the link 5100 is a specific type.

The LINK 5100 will not recognize aNMEA0183 or NMEA2000 data sentence. The only compass output that will work with your LINK 5000 must have a N+1 output. It is an old output that is not used anymore.

So if anyone has THAT type then I very much want one also!!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.