Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-15-2009

garymcg is on a distinguished road
Simpson Lawrence Hyspeed windlass disassembly?

Greetings

I'm attempting to rebuild my SL Hyspeed windlass and can't figure out how to remove the clutch cone. According to the exploded diagram their appears to be a "spring pin" through the cone and spindle? How do I remove it?

If you have disassembled one of these babies any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Yes; it's a roll pin. You have to find the right diameter drift that is long enough to drive it through both the cone and the shaft. If the drive sprockets are good; don't bother replacing them unless necesary. To remove them from the shaft is a white knuckle procedure because if you damage the gear assembly or the shaft your windlass will become a boat anchor.

I rebuilt mine about a year ago; had the housing powder coated and it still looks new.
Old 03-15-2009

KH

Thanks a bunch for the tip. Long 1/4" punch did the trick.

Now...how do get the chain off? I don't necessarily need to remove the sprockets from the shaft, but I need to get the shaft & sprocket assembly out in order to get the case powdercoated.

Thanks again.
Old 03-17-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
OK; if I recall correctly you have to remove the outer cover on the left side (beneath the cone) and then once opened there is a set screw that holds the chains onto the ratchet (where the handle attaches). Once you remove the set screw you should be able to remove the ratchet/shaft and the chains will come out together attached to a rocker-arm.

If you have the exploded view; here is a procedure:

Remove the bolt labeled P/N 30 or 44 (it's either a bolt or setscrew)
Pull out the Drive Shaft labeled P/N 8
P/N 9 (rocker-arm) will now be free and the chains and P/N 9 should come out as an assembly

Exploded view located here:

http://www.slspares.co.uk/Hyspeed%20510.pdf

If you get the case powder-coated be sure and ask them to pre-coat everything with epoxy. Also don't forget to take the rhode windlass and the handle at the same time. (I forgot to get the handle shot; dammit ) The powder coating will probably wear on the cone so it should be re-coated from time to time.

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 03-17-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-17-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeelHaulin View Post
OK; if I recall correctly you have to remove the outer cover on the left side (beneath the cone) and then once opened there is a set screw that holds the chains onto the ratchet (where the handle attaches). Once you remove the set screw you should be able to remove the ratchet/shaft and the chains will come out together attached to a rocker-arm.

If you have the exploded view; here is a procedure:

Remove the bolt labeled P/N 30 or 44 (it's either a bolt or setscrew)
Pull out the Drive Shaft labeled P/N 8
P/N 9 (rocker-arm) will now be free and the chains and P/N 9 should come out as an assembly

Exploded view located here:

http://www.slspares.co.uk/Hyspeed%20510.pdf

If you get the case powder-coated be sure and ask them to pre-coat everything with epoxy. Also don't forget to take the rhode windlass and the handle at the same time. (I forgot to get the handle shot; dammit ) The powder coating will probably wear on the cone so it should be re-coated from time to time.

Aha. I didn't realize that was a set screw. Came right out and so did everything else.

Once again, thanks for the pointers!

Gary
Old 04-03-2010

sailmaui is on a distinguished road
Help - My clutch on hyspeed is frozen. Grease nipple appears to be rounded over. Was this originally 13mm? Once I get grease nipple off will the Clutch Wheel Nut just unscrew?
Old 04-06-2010
STARBOARD!!

The grease nipple is attached to the shaft (from memory). The clutch wheel should turn are you saying it is also frozen? Once you get the clutch wheel removed you will need to get the gypsy to release; you will probably want to use something like PB Blaster and maybe a strap wrench to apply torque to the gypsy to break it free. Heating the gypsy with a propane torch might also help it expand away from the shaft and break the corrosion bond.
Old 04-06-2010

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
For what it's worth, the set screw on my hyspeed broke off when I tried to free it, making the removal of the inner chain virtually impossible. THAT was the straw that broke the camel's back on MY attempt to repair my S/L Hyspeed. I opted to upgrade to an electric and am currently engaged in THAT project.

Bottom Line: I have a S/L Hyspeed with one frozed sprocket and a broken off set screw that I will sell for parts or repair to anyone masochistic enough to want it.

V/R

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"