Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-15-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Bedding - Polysulfide Recommendation?

Hey everyone. I'm getting ready to rebed my chainplates. I've read that Polysulfide is the right stuff for this. The two options I run into are LifeCaulk and 3M 101. Is one of these options better than the other? Is there something else I should consider?

I would like a good seal, but also want to be able to remove and rebed these chainplates when necessary.
Thanks!
-J
Old 03-15-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Just do it, you will get good results with either. Caulking has more to do with prep and technique than it does with the compound used.

For instance, the PO of my last boat smeared silicone all over everything, looked like ****, and did not help deck leaks at all.

The hardware bedded on my 1968 islander was done correctly, and it still doesn't leak. This was with 1968 caulk technology, so you probably don't have a thing to worry about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Polysulphide is definitely the right sealant choice. Of the two, go with 3M 101. I think it's an excellent product. The LifeCalk will do the job, but has two major defects. One, it's spelled "LifeCalk;" if you can't spell it, you probably shouldn't manufacture and market it. Also, and more importantly, it will very rapidly turn yellow/brown (within a couple of months) and it's unsightly enough to be a problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2009
Unpaid Intern

Thanks tager, I'm definitely going to do it. And I think either product will work OK. Basically, I'm just trying to find out if one is preferred over the other for any reasons such as UV resistance, longer lasting, easier to work with, discolorations--anything like that. The difference in price isn't enough to worry about in small quantities I need.
-J
Old 03-15-2009
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAsailing View Post
Polysulphide is definitely the right sealant choice. Of the two, go with 3M 101. I think it's an excellent product. The LifeCalk will do the job, but has two major defects. One, it's spelled "LifeCalk;" if you can't spell it, you probably shouldn't manufacture and market it. Also, and more importantly, it will very rapidly turn yellow/brown (within a couple of months) and it's unsightly enough to be a problem.
Ha ha--good point! And the color thing is definitely good to know. Would prefer it not turn yellow/brown, so 101 might be better if even for that. Plus, if 3M is good stuff, that's fine with me. I've been satisfied with other 3M products in the past (non-marine). Thanks NOLAsailing.
Old 03-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Just do it, you will get good results with either. Caulking has more to do with prep and technique than it does with the compound used.

For instance, the PO of my last boat smeared silicone all over everything, looked like ****, and did not help deck leaks at all.

The hardware bedded on my 1968 islander was done correctly, and it still doesn't leak. This was with 1968 caulk technology, so you probably don't have a thing to worry about!
Not so, I'm afraid. There are three major types of sealant: silicone, polyurethane, and polysulphides.

Polysulphides are great for general sealant projects.

Polyurethane is PRIMARILY an adhesive. 3M 4200 and 5200 are the standards. Great for their intended purpose, but unless you are looking for an ADHESIVE, do not use it.

Silicone is garbage. It is unreliable and, more importantly, leaves behind a chemical residue. This is a major issue if you ever need to paint the boat. Silicone has no place on a boat. Ever. There's always a better choice.

A couple others:

BoatLife LifeSeal - a silicone/polysulphide hybrid. It's great stuff and appropriate for plastics. Pure polsulphide can eat plastic.

Butyl Caulk or Tape - also good stuff. It remains pliable for a very, very long time and is great for portlights. I've used frequently for this, though when I recently replaced my plexi ports, I went with LifeSeal and was very pleased. One negative about Butyl Caulk is that it is messy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Ha ha--good point! And the color thing is definitely good to know. Would prefer it not turn yellow/brown, so 101 might be better if even for that. Plus, if 3M is good stuff, that's fine with me. I've been satisfied with other 3M products in the past (non-marine). Thanks NOLAsailing.
Glad I could help and good luck with the project.

Awesome boat, by the way.

Old 03-15-2009
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAsailing View Post
Glad I could help and good luck with the project.

Awesome boat, by the way.
Thanks! We're getting very anxious for Spring. We still haven't sailed her! I have a feeling that it will come up more quickly than we expect--so many projects to get ready...
Old 03-15-2009

ADMTROX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Thanks! We're getting very anxious for Spring. We still haven't sailed her! I have a feeling that it will come up more quickly than we expect--so many projects to get ready...
Josrulz,

You can say that again. The winter has seemed so long, but now that it is almost over and we have many projects to finish up...
Old 03-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd use butyl tape if the chainplates have a cover that goes over the slot... if not, then use the polysulfide.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.