Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Painting the Deck

Hi,

I have just acquired a new boat, it's a 1968 Islander Bahama. Named Gusto. She is a nice little boat with a few minor issues. The gelcoat on the decks is old, thin, flaking in places, and generally looks a bit crappy. I am planning on filling the cracks with epoxy putty, and painting with an alkyd enamel porch/patio paint. The upsides to this being simplicity and low cost in both dollars and hours.

I know someone will say "Use 2 part polyurethane." Well it's not gonna happen, it's expensive, complicated to apply etc.

My question is this: Have any of you used porch paint to paint boat decks? How did it turn out? I also plan on doing this in the slip, a little bit at a time, as I live aboard.

Am I crazy? (No need to answer.)

Also, I have heard of using fantastik to clean off old wax...

There shouldn't be a lot of wax left on the old oxidized gelcoat, but does anyone have ideas on how best to prep the surface?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
I am using poly garage floor paint. It's too soon to know how good an idea it is. It does look good, but I don't know how long it will look good. Have a look at the last post in the "My project boat" thread.
Old 03-15-2009

sailcapt2 is on a distinguished road
Dont do it. I painted the decks of my boat with an oil based porch paint three years ago and it is almost all gone. It chipped and peeled just about everywhere. I am currently removing the paint and getting it ready for some Kiwigrip. I hope it lasts longer.
Steve
Old 03-15-2009

okawbow is on a distinguished road
Try the Interlux Interdeck non slip deck paint. I painted my deck with it 3 years ago, and it still looks new. It's a 1 part paint and not too expensive. Just lightly sand after filling the bad spots and clean with a little mineral spirits before painting.

Chuck
Privateer 26 Schooner
Old 03-15-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
This is a huge project. To do it right, you need to remove all of the deck hardware and properly prep the surfaces. There is a reason the LPU systems are pricey - they are durable and the shine lasts.

Given the scope of work, if you choose to do it right, the cost and effort of the paint is negligible. Two part paint is not hard to use. You just mix it and a converter in a set ration and thin it so it flows smoothly. Can you make pancakes? If so, you can definitely do an AwlGrip job that looks - and will continue to look - infinitely than...porch paint.

Also, I'll second okawbow recommendation for Interlux Interdeck. That is a great paint. Be sure to use two coats, even if it doesn't look like it needs it. Also, have a much larger container to pour the pints into so you can properly distribute the pre-mixed aggregate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-15-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
Have to agree with Nola. Tried a mono poly paint on our deck: it lasted about a week. The two-part poly called for essentially the same prep, and has lasted seven years (we'll need to touch it up this year in spots.) Be sure to spend all the time you need masking what you don't want painted. Then come back again the next day and mask the things you missed the first day. Otherwise, you'll paint things you don't want painted, and have to live with it.
Old 03-16-2009

mangomadness is on a distinguished road
I swear some people post topics like this just to get people to respond "NOOOO" quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-16-2009

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I had a 69 Islander Excaliber, when I redid the deck I used Brightside and the Interlux non skid additive. after prep'n and preKote I first coated the entire area I was working on, second & third coated only the non skid area with the same paint but with the additive and then final coated the entire area with just paint.

I ended up with 2 layers on the smooth areas and four on the no-skid, came out looking really good.

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 03-16-2009

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
I had very good results with Interlux Brightside (1 part) paint as well. Roll and tip method with four people working the equipment went very well allowing for no dry edge to form. Not too expensive either, but you have to rough everything and clean with Interlux's prescribed prep solvent - don't recall the number of the solvent, but very important to use their stuff.

5th season now shows need for touch up, but not rediculously bad. Will redo with same product this year if I can find crew.

Plan to spend as much on alcohol as you do on supplies.
Old 03-16-2009

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
I've painted a boat with Brightsides also. It looked great for a year, good for another, and OK for another. Given all the prep, I should have just used AwlGrip.

Rob - I think you're on to something there.