Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-16-2009

thisisus is on a distinguished road
My vote is Garhauer

Replaced the original one on our Islander 32. Sent the track to them so they could match the bend. Came back perfect (no extra for doing this) Been on 3 years and very pleased. Price is good also. Way below a Harken.

Thisisus
Islander 32
Mobile AL
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Garhauer's making my new traveler as we speak (OK maybe not actually making it, but it's in the works.) I'm getting great support from them.

This "simple" project turned out to be a lot more involved than expected, since I had to make a new teak traveler bridge. Because there are four mounting bolts for the bridge that run through the deck, a standard 4" spacing for the track screws won't exactly fit. No problem -- I sent Garhauer a diagram of the bridge, and they are going to drill the track holes exactly were I need them. And they are going to curve the track to match exactly the curve of the bridge.

One thing to consider -- Guido (he's the Garhauer traveler guru) said they're running about four weeks from order to delivery. Not sure if that applies for a non-special orders, though.

Once it all arrives and I get the whole thing done I'll post pics.
Yea, 4 weeks, try 6 weeks, I am keeping my fingers crossed Guido finishes mine by the end of this week

Its not often a company can custom make items as they do for what they charge.

BTW...some of the new units look sharp, I will post pics hopefully in a week
Old 03-22-2009

Shortman is on a distinguished road
Traveller update

Thanks for all the replies. A few notes.
A vendor (pyacht) that sells both Harken & Lewmar said Harken because much quicker on parts etc. which seems to follow my stated experience with Lewmar.
I too am a big Garhauer fan. I have their rigid vang and genoa lead car system but, as someone alluded to, their traveller is quite bulky. Also now that they are also selling through vendors, it looks like their prices have come up so thay are not so radically less than the Harken.
Large benefit to Harken & Lewmar is the mounting system, do not have to precisely locate bored holes as bolts, thru plates, adjust in grooves on underside of beam track.
I have not had luck posting photos on this forum but will email a photo if you wish. I think it's best to contact me through my listing here rather that me putting the address in the forum & risking even more spam.
Change out would not be until June @ earliest, if even this year, because I live 350 miles away and get there too infrequently. This work stuff gets in the way of everything.