Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-19-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Tiller pilot recommendation needed...

Sorry if this is a ''repeat''; I added it on Friday but don''t see it listed among these threads today.

We''re presently preparing for some more offshore cruising. One addition I intend to make this time before leaving is to set up our Sailomat windvane with a small tiller pilot. The point of this, where the pilot directly controls the base of the vane, is to use the power of this self-steering method in lighter winds and/or without the power consumption of our larger autopilot.

The problem is making a product choice, and especially given the highly variable and sometimes wet conditions we''ll occasionally face when sailing in areas like the UK. (I suspect that ''weather'' is the #1 killer of cockpit mounted pilots).

I care not one smidgen about features, thrust #s or interfacing. We do plan on sewing up a Sunbrella cover with a plastic window, so the unit "should" normally have it''s own protection. So ultimately, I guess I''m concerned about watertight integrity, reliability (how long it might last under ''normal'' conditions) and availability of service in Europe when (probably not ''if'') it fails.

Simrad''s low-end unit is a bit cheaper but I''ve had discouraging service and also product performance from them in the past. Raymarine is my biased choice but based exclusively on ignorance. Thus, my query.

If any of you have some extended experience with the low-end tiller pilots currently available (TP10; ST1000), I''d surely welcome hearing about it here. You are also welcome to contact me directly via email. Many thanks!

Jack

jack_patricia@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2002

manateee_gene is on a distinguished road

Jack: We have two of the Ray''s. the 2000ST and an old 1000. They operate the trim tab on the rudder just like our windsteering device does (top portion of Auto Helm by Scanmar)because of the minor loading they have both been in use for 5 years on the small on and three on the 2000. They are out in the open and when its nasty and spraying or raining I wrap them in a water piece of canvas all the way to the trim tab. Have never had a single problem.
Gene s/v TPIII
Old 10-19-2002

928frenzy is on a distinguished road

The boat came with a wheel pilot (which I use) and a tiller Autohelm 1000 (which I don''t use). I don''t even know if it works?

If you want it, I''m at: eds928gt@yahoo.com. I''m sure I can part with it for the cost of shipping and a minor handling charge.