Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-16-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
INTERLUX Perfection paint recall

Well

I am sure you have read about my mast paint job, during testing i used a bit to much perfection to finish the job and had to buy a second quart

I had to use 100 ml from the second can to have enough paint to do the final coat , i had a few issues BUT it was not that apparent due to the blend of good and bad paint and i figured it would do its thing and level in just fine, to my horror the second coat did a nasty massive fisheye on top of my perfect first coat

SO

I called support and the first thing they did was get my lot numbers and confirm that there were no recalls at that time and kind of drove me crazy troubling shooting my spray paint system for a problem that was not there

When i used 100% material from the second can it became pretty apparent even when mixing it there was a problem and i did a few test sprays that came out like a hammer finish

BUT they wanted to send out a rep to have a look and we went through everything and they decide to do test spraying back at HQ, well the word just came down that snow white and some other white have been recalled

Because i stacked the coats( your suppose to like doing a glass lay-up)the contamination in the second coat cut right through into the primer so even when you wet sand it down to primer it is covered in mirror like flecks and i will have to wait until they give me some good paint to even see it can be fixed without starting from scratch

The good thing is there replacing everything right down to the paint stripper and giving me a bunch of other free stuff But life kind of sucks right now because it is about two weeks of work in the evening to redo the ruined work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 03-16-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2009

opps

strip it all off tomorow

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

Last edited by tommays; 03-16-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-16-2009
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
My first thought is who are Perfection Paint?

And my second, is why on earth you would want to slow down a J/24 by adding heavy stuff like PAINT and even worse, putting it ALOFT?!

A real J/sailors goes commando, strips and sands, and gets that last half ounce off the wrong places in the boat. Paint? Good lord, you'll be installing a bimini and head next, what ever are you thinking? (VBG)
Old 03-16-2009

I spray really thin coats

I have changed it to INTERLUX just to warn my fellow boaters because this stuff just hit the shelf and was recalled Friday night

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY