Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-16-2009

SSBN506 is on a distinguished road
Sealing the hull and deck joint

I am going to reseal the hull and deck joint this year on my 25 ft 1978 challenger sailboat. I have yet to take off the rub rail to see what condition it is in. But I am getting water leakage from the joint in various spots. Because of the boats internal lining I can seal it from the inside.

My question is what is the best way to do this? I was thinking of using a 4 inch wide fiberglass strip and classing the two joints together. But I am wondering if the flexing of the hull might crack the patch. Would I be better off using a flexible compound?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The best way to reseal a hull-deck join is to disassemble it and then re-bed it... glassing it over after doing that is a good idea, but you want to seal the joint itself before doing so. If you don't water can get into the joint and freeze, causing big, big problems later on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-16-2009

SSBN506 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice Sailingdog. It will be interesting to see what i find when i remove the rub rail.
Old 03-16-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
you can also mix up some collodal ( sp ) silica and epoxy and use a spreader to pack the joint from the out side. this will stop water from getting in to the joint and then use fiberglass to add the strength on the inside