So I'm back. Changes in work schedules, and all of our free time put to actually working on the boat make for crazy times. So here's what we've accomplished so far:
*Removed the pulpit, and resealed it with sikaflex (this solved 80% of the water seepage problems in the v-berth. Oh, the contortions required to remove those bolts!)
*Installed new running lights (solving the remaining water leakage issues)
*installed new SS life lines. She looks like a respectable yacht now (well, as much as a 24 footer can be a yacht! There are no turn buckles, but the pelican hooks do a good enough job. We simply strung it all out with a bit of excess cable, tensioned it all, and marked the correct length, cut it and attached it all with Nico presses (tension is maintained when we open the gates with gate locks.) Certainly made the endeavour much more afforable, and looks almost as good. If we choose later to add the turnbuckles, it should be easy.
*Reinstalled the main wiring (installed a battery switch, a ground bus, and a tiny electrical panel) We have a 12V plug that will go in this week, from which we'll run an old inverter, which will power my tablet and GPS. We also have two small gel cell batteries as a backup power, as we're planning on adding a stereo soon. *
*Resealed the leaking port shroud
*Installed a drain hose for the ice box
*Built a laminate table with teak edging, on a removable pedestal. There's a base in the saloon, as well as in the cockpit. Eventually, it will be warm enough for wine at sunset in the cockpit! We cut a hole in the deck, sealed the edges with epoxy and then bolted a flush mount in the hole.
*Sewed a curtain for the head
*Installed a light in the head
*Resealed the companionway hatch hinges
*Installed a rubber/SS latch to the fore hatch
*Installed hatch tape to fore hatch
*reran the traveller (though we like the new setup possibly less than the original!)
*scrubbed down all the teak (even that made a huge difference in how she looks)
*installed a safety wire for the backstay
*ran a reefing line along the boom
*"fixed" the outhaul attachment by securing a jam cleat to the boom with a tap and die set.
*complete overhaul on the engine (of which I know nothing
Busy times! We've discovered that there are two parts of the deck that are actually wet enough that they make a "squish" sound when you step on them. One is close to the foreward-most port stanchion, the other one is in the cockpit where it's raised for the traveller. *sigh* We still haven't figured out exactly what our plan to deal with the deck is, but it's likely between two and six months on the hard in the fall.
All this on top of getting out and sailing the heck out of her for the past two weekends. (and running into shawmac while out on the water!) She is a dream to sail, though easily overpowered compared to what I'm used to. She's responsive, and immensely tweakable. She points well, though we suffered through a rather bad bout of weather helm while overpowered on a close haul. We didn't notice it normally, and I assume this will disappear when we don't have too much sail area up.
We crossed the straight (again) for Easter to meet up with my family. There's something incredibly satisfying about being able to just leave my father (who orginally taught me how to sail) behind on downwind legs, even in moderate winds, and even when just flying the large genoa.
This week is the dreaded masthead adventure - looking into running a third halyard, replacing both the genoa and main halyards, as well as a wind indicator and possible masthead light, lazy jacks and new spreader tape.
*As you've likely noticed, we've definitely moved more in the cruising direction than in the racing direction. Comfort over speed, though many of the additions (like the extra batteries) are removable for when we don't want to be pushing all the extra weight out of the way.