So more and more projects that we're slowly knocking off. I went up the mast (eek!) on Thursday evening to rerun the gennaker/spinnaker halyard. Well, I guess technically, to rerun the headsail halyard as though there are two sheaves at the front of the mast, only the spinnaker
halyard was being used. Which meant everytime we hoisted the genoa, we had to deal with twisiting the halyard on to the wrong side of the luff foil. But all is now resolved. All the sheaves have been greased (carefully) and the sails go up like butter now. We replaced the main halyard (finally!) with yachtbraid and repurposed the old goldbraid as fender line
. Three new halyards, and lighter weight sheets for the downwind sails make her a joy to sail. The main still limps - I can only surmise that it's simply the way she's cut. Doesn't seem to affect performance, but I can't honestly tell.
We spent another couple of hours debating what can be done about the poor reefing "system" and have decided to go with what Faster (I believe) proposed at one point. Pull the pin, and drop the bottom three sail slides. I'm sure there's a reason why there's a sail slide right at the reef cringle, but for the life of me, I don't know why. It would make it so much easier. Even if the pin wasn't an issue, you'd think you'd want to be able to pull that cringle away from the mast. We've stuck with the cunningham/reefing line
with a big metal hook on the end. Lesson learnt however: after reefing in about 12 kts yesterday morning in the Inlet, then hoisting again, this silly monkey forgot to put the pin back in (exactly as expected!) and we wound up with the entire sail in the cockpit as we tried to drop anchor
for lunch. Not so bright, obviously!
I'm thrilled though, as the sail shape is still pretty good, despite the hassle.
Our stereo system is now fully functional. We found a pair of patio speakers at London Drugs for $100, instead of retail $350. Hurrah for demo products!
While I was up the mast we taped off the spreader ends - glad we did it, as there appears to be large wire (a heavy guage seizing wire perhaps) sticking out one of the ends. I also went right up to the top - ack, the mast is far too skinny at that point to make me happy doing that! - to see what would be needed to install the windex we have.
We've finally replaced the topping lift as well, with an adjustable line
that runs parallel to the starboard side of the running backstay.
Now it's on to really learning how to sail her properly! Plus the myriad "small" projects - 12V plug, reattach the port settee, water tanks, etc.