Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-15-2009

serah is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to serah
And silly me forgot why I came here - for a question:

We have a few small sail repairs that need to be done; a seam on the lightweight genoa has come undone, the nylon Swiftsure "symbol" as well as her sail number have mostly come off, and a few other sail repairs.

I'm pretty handy with sewing, and would like to give these a shot myself. I have access to what I believe is a full repair kit - awl, palm, sail patches (not just tape) and thread, etc.

Does anybody have any suggestions on doing these myself? Also, for redoing the symbol and numbers, any tips on fabric?
Old 04-16-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like you've had a busy time.. was wondering how you were making out. Easter weekend was interesting, wasn't it? Were you out on the Sunday?

Don't really have any suggestions for you except to say that most sail insignias these days are vinyl stick-ons. As for sewing, just make sure you have UV resistant thread.

Carry on!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The thread you want to use is Tenara, which is made from Gore-Tex. Very abrasion and UV resistant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-16-2009

Sunday sail

We were out on Sunday actually, as the boy had to be back in town for work on Monday. We were the silly ones out crossing the Straight in the morning - yes, before the wind died. They were calling for 35 kts - I don't think we saw over 30 though. Granted, my wind speed guessing skills are much better at low speeds. Apart from one Hunter flying from Porlier north, we saw only one other boat out until we were close to English Bay. A bit hairy, with rough seas. We flew home under jib and the outboard, averaging close to 7kts the whole way (impressive for us, as 5 seems to be about where she hovers.) We declined to run the main, as we're still not confident on the reefing system.

An interesting run though Anyone else out for that?
Old 04-16-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We made the short trip from Pirates to Silva Bay around noon... no biggie, mostly sheltered water. Plenty of breeze though - also saw close to 30knots. But amazingly by 4:00 or so the wind clocked, eased and the sun burst forth.. lovely evening!

You should have waited!! But good for you getting across safely/.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 04-27-2009

So more and more projects that we're slowly knocking off. I went up the mast (eek!) on Thursday evening to rerun the gennaker/spinnaker halyard. Well, I guess technically, to rerun the headsail halyard as though there are two sheaves at the front of the mast, only the spinnaker halyard was being used. Which meant everytime we hoisted the genoa, we had to deal with twisiting the halyard on to the wrong side of the luff foil. But all is now resolved. All the sheaves have been greased (carefully) and the sails go up like butter now. We replaced the main halyard (finally!) with yachtbraid and repurposed the old goldbraid as fender line. Three new halyards, and lighter weight sheets for the downwind sails make her a joy to sail. The main still limps - I can only surmise that it's simply the way she's cut. Doesn't seem to affect performance, but I can't honestly tell.

We spent another couple of hours debating what can be done about the poor reefing "system" and have decided to go with what Faster (I believe) proposed at one point. Pull the pin, and drop the bottom three sail slides. I'm sure there's a reason why there's a sail slide right at the reef cringle, but for the life of me, I don't know why. It would make it so much easier. Even if the pin wasn't an issue, you'd think you'd want to be able to pull that cringle away from the mast. We've stuck with the cunningham/reefing line with a big metal hook on the end. Lesson learnt however: after reefing in about 12 kts yesterday morning in the Inlet, then hoisting again, this silly monkey forgot to put the pin back in (exactly as expected!) and we wound up with the entire sail in the cockpit as we tried to drop anchor for lunch. Not so bright, obviously! I'm thrilled though, as the sail shape is still pretty good, despite the hassle.

Our stereo system is now fully functional. We found a pair of patio speakers at London Drugs for $100, instead of retail $350. Hurrah for demo products!

While I was up the mast we taped off the spreader ends - glad we did it, as there appears to be large wire (a heavy guage seizing wire perhaps) sticking out one of the ends. I also went right up to the top - ack, the mast is far too skinny at that point to make me happy doing that! - to see what would be needed to install the windex we have.

We've finally replaced the topping lift as well, with an adjustable line that runs parallel to the starboard side of the running backstay.

Now it's on to really learning how to sail her properly! Plus the myriad "small" projects - 12V plug, reattach the port settee, water tanks, etc.
Old 04-27-2009
Just another Moderator

Good going! Yesterday was a beauty day, we had a great sail home from Bowen, and it was such a good day we turned around and sailed half way out of the bay again. It's a treat to finally be getting some spring weather.

Sounds like you two are doing a good job of getting things together.