Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-29-2009

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
I got to play with Garmin 620 yesterday.....

Nice, very nice. I expect to see the 640 soon, but the screen resolution is excellent and I love the touch screen. I have been using a 5210 touch screen for over a year and have had no problems. I think the 640 will give the 545 a run for its money especially for someone who wants a portable battery unit.

Contrary to a previous post the 640 is NOT designed to be permanently mounted and it will kill off the 478, which is already being discounted.

The 640 has build in charts for the US and can only use "BlueChart g2 VISION" cards and NOT BlueChart or BlueChart G2 charts as previously stated also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gtod25; 03-29-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2009

floatsome is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtod25 View Post
The 640 has build in charts for the US and can only use "BlueChart g2 VISION" cards and NOT BlueChart or BlueChart G2 charts as previously stated also.
Looks like the 640 has preloaded Canada and US coverage in BlueChart g2:" "comes ready to go with preloaded BlueChart® g2 data and City Navigator NT road maps for North America ... optional BlueChart g2 Vision cards" https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=14898.

1. So BlueChart g2 Vision appears to be optional (each subregion card costs about $300, I think).
2. Looks like each BlueChart g2 sub-region requires an unlock code that appears to cost about $200 -- does the box price include one unlock code for one subregion?
3. And does the box price include one unlock code which unlocks all the City Navigator NT maps for all of Canada and US?
Old 03-30-2009

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Charts for 640

As I said I was using the 620 which has only the world basemap (i.e. no detail). Garmin states thet the 640 has built in BlueChart® g2 data for North America. If it is the same as the 545 (which I believe it is) no codes are needed. The 545 series the charts only cover the USA and not Canada or Mexico.

Outside this area you need to buy BlueChart g2 Vision at $310+/- each.

I have no knowledge of City navigator as I see no reason for putting a $1000 device in a car, when you can get a Nuvi for $100.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatsome View Post
Looks like the 640 has preloaded Canada and US coverage in BlueChart g2:" "comes ready to go with preloaded BlueChart® g2 data and City Navigator NT road maps for North America ... optional BlueChart g2 Vision cards" https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=148&pID=14898.

1. So BlueChart g2 Vision appears to be optional (each subregion card costs about $300, I think).
yes, but the g2 vision has some information and photos that the G2 pre-loaded charts don't.

Quote:
2. Looks like each BlueChart g2 sub-region requires an unlock code that appears to cost about $200 -- does the box price include one unlock code for one subregion?
Should include the unlock code for one sub-region to load the charts into two GPS units. Garmin provides you the ability to use the charts you unlock on TWO separate units IIRC.
Quote:
3. And does the box price include one unlock code which unlocks all the City Navigator NT maps for all of Canada and US?
Yes, Canada and US maps are under a single unlock code, again, believe they give you the option of loading them onto TWO devices.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-16-2009

Quote:
Is NMEA 0183 enough these days, now that NMEA 2000 is out?
What are thoughts about this issue with the Garmin 640? I'm refitting a new to us boat, and looking at starting over with the instruments, but budget is also an issue so cannot replace everything. But I would prefer not to spend this much on a GPS receiver that is only 0183 if the future is 2000 should I get a new VHF radio, for example.
Old 04-25-2009

How weather resistant are the 640 and 478? Can they be mounted on the steering pedestal of a 27 foot sailboat in the open for coastal cruising?
Old 04-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
IIRC, both are rated at IPX7 for water resistance.. That means they can withstand submersion for 30 minutes at one meter of depth... if you have more water than that at the helm of a 27' sailboat, you're doing something wrong.
Quote:
How weather resistant are the 640 and 478? Can they be mounted on the steering pedestal of a 27 foot sailboat in the open for coastal cruising?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 04-26-2009

Two hangups

1. I understand IPX7, but I wonder about all the electrical plug-in connections on the 640's bracket (power, 0183), and the ability of the bracket to withstand weather. I can't physically see a 640.

2. Another issue: planning on a PC. If the BlueChart G2 charts come preloaded on the 640, how does one view the charts on a PC, to use the PC to plan ahead and upload waypoints to the 640? Or does Garmin allow a user to copy BlueChart G2 charts from the 640 onto a card or via USB into the PC, so a user can plan on the PC using MapSource? Or, does a user have to purchase a BlueChart G2 CD and get unlock codes for use on the PC?
Old 04-26-2009
Telstar 28

Yes, the bracket is part of the unit and should withstand the same conditions. Garmin usually gold plates their electrical connectors so that corrosion isn't an issue for them.

Quote:
1. I understand IPX7, but I wonder about all the electrical plug-in connections on the 640's bracket (power, 0183), and the ability of the bracket to withstand weather. I can't physically see a 640.
Most of these questions would be answered in the product's manual, which is easily available to anyone on Garmin's website. I would suggest you download the manual you provided a link to previously and read it before asking basic questions it can answer.

The manual discusses copying the pre-loaded charts, waypoints, tracks and routes to an SD card on page 29. The MapSource software can then read the SD card, provided you have a SD card reader...

You can create/edit/archive waypoints and routes on a Windows-PC running MapSource. You can archive tracks using it as well.

Quote:
2. Another issue: planning on a PC. If the BlueChart G2 charts come preloaded on the 640, how does one view the charts on a PC, to use the PC to plan ahead and upload waypoints to the 640? Or does Garmin allow a user to copy BlueChart G2 charts from the 640 onto a card or via USB into the PC, so a user can plan on the PC using MapSource? Or, does a user have to purchase a BlueChart G2 CD and get unlock codes for use on the PC?

Telstar 28
New England

Old 04-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I would suggest you download the manual you provided a link to previously and read it before asking basic questions it can answer. The manual discusses copying the pre-loaded charts, waypoints, tracks and routes to an SD card on page 29.
The manual says the user can copy the basemap, not the e-charts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.