Sailmaster 22 Centerboard Removal? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-18-2009 Thread Starter

Sailmaster 22 Centerboard Removal?

I'm restoring my 1964 Sailmaster 22 and need to remove and possibly replace the cast iron centerboard (800 lbs, 5 feet when down). The pivot bolt only has the nut exposed and it is not evident how one is supposed to remove it to get the board out! Does anyone know how to do this? Greg
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-22-2009

sailmaster 22

I am facing the same problem, it may be that the centerboard hooks onto the pivot bolt and it is only removeable when its in a certain position. Up or down, I don't know. The former owner is a friend of a friend and I'm waiting to hear on this My boat is hull #26 1964. John
post #3 of 16 Old 03-22-2009 Thread Starter

Still seeking more information

Hi, John...thanks for the reply. I've got two inquiries in line, one with the designer at Sparkman and Stephens and another with the Sailmaster Club in Holland where they have a whole fleet of Sailmaster 22's...a very good site to get hooked into...I'm hoping we can get a North American Chapter of the club going here...please let me know if ytou find anything useful, and I'll do the same...

Hull 22! Fantastic...a 22 D or a weekender? Do you know Jack Sherwood, author of the Bay Tripper column for Soundings magazine? He also has a Sailomaster 22.

Greg
post #4 of 16 Old 03-23-2009

Greg, I think its a daysailer, builders plate-22D, it has the longer cockpit. I don't know Jack, but I'll check out his column. I've started a Facebook group called "Sailmaster 22 sailboat" last week which you can access if you belong to Facebook. I would be interested in joining N.A. chapter. (I've heard of boats in South Portland, Portsmouth and have seen listings on Craigslist further south.) Thanks, John
post #5 of 16 Old 03-24-2009 Thread Starter

Hpoing you get some information!

I've not had much luck so far. I am seeking some information from Sparkman and Stephens and from other Sailmaster owners...we'll share whatever information we come across...

Here is a link to pictures documenting the restoration of Wallilabu.

Picasa Web Albums - Greg - Wallilabu Res...

Final deck and cockpit repairs are in the works now, and I hope to start putting the newly painted boat back together next weekend. I'd love to see some pictures of your boat.

Greg
post #6 of 16 Old 03-29-2009 Thread Starter

we found the pivot bolt

The 5/8 ths bronze bolt was buried in fiberglass; we found it with help from original plans provided by Sparkman and Stephens design team. We plan to drop the board out tomorrow. I also found some information for 2 other centerboard designs used in these boats. One involves a pivot pin that is located in the keel itself, and the other is for a thing called the Rediboard system, in which the board has a compound groove that rests on the pivot pin, rather than an eye. This board is removed by pushing the board forward as far as it will go, then pusing it upward, the pusing it backward to disengage the pin from the groove. I have more details if anyone is interested. The Rediboard system was used on the Seafarer Kestrel 22, S&S design 1631, the design upon which the Sailmaster 22 was based.

More pictures will be available soon...
post #7 of 16 Old 04-12-2009

How did it go with the C.B.? I climbed into the boat for the first time this year. (What a great moment, sort of like seeing the first flower in spring after the snow melts.) I found the C.B. pin, the head is exposed, while the nut is embeded in resin. I've not tried to turn it yet, thats for Monday.
post #8 of 16 Old 04-12-2009 Thread Starter

We had to cut through the glass to expose the bolt and could not turn it...had to grind off the head and the nut and drive the pin through. The board dropped down but not out, as the boat is still on blocks. We'll get the board out when the boat is in the travel lift next week. The final paint is going on the entire boat this week and then we'll let her rest before we move her outside. Will be mounting a new mahogany toe rail, new Harken winches and traveler, and installing remote controls in the cockpit for the outboard, along with new pulpits fore and aft, stanchions and lifelines. The mast and boom have gotten their tenth coats of varnish and I'll be bedding and remounting the hardware next week. Before we launch her, I will also stiffen the hull and deck by installing top-hat stringers and some cored fiberglass planks at all the stress points. I'll just have to get around to fitting out the interior over the summer, as I have plenty of mahogany brightwork to varnish yet, but I want to get her launched on May Day if I can...the new sails are ready except for the asymmetrical spinnaker, but this should be done before the end of the month.

Bottom line on the centerboard is that it is gone...completely corroded beyond the possibility of repair. I have the original design plan, so I'm having a local fabricator make me a new one out of 316 stainless steel...the drum is fine, but I'll go ahead and replace the pendant while I have the board out.

Would love to know more about your boat and where you are, etc. Good to hear from you...Greg

Last edited by Wallilabu; 04-12-2009 at 09:22 PM.
post #9 of 16 Old 04-16-2009

Sailmaster 22 - Eliot Maine

I have owned and sailed Sailmasters for 22 years now and have enjoyed sailing them. I did a centerboard removal several years ago on my 22D. With four good friends and a lift we were able to remove the board. I had a SS one made up (it weighed around 80lbs) and I believe it was 3/8 inch thick. I had a bronze liner inserted in the pivot hole so that the metals of the pivot pin and the hole were the same. I also had extra SS plate near the top quarter of the board so that it fitted snug (no slop...prevented banging went the board was down). I coated it with 2 coats of Rustloc and 2 coats of bottom paint.The relative light weight of the board (80lbs) didn't affect the performance adversely. The other nice thing was the board was much easier to pull up. I now own a Sailmaster 22 Weekender (1964).
post #10 of 16 Old 05-10-2009 Thread Starter

New centerboard

The restoration of Wallilabu, my Sailmaster 22D, is nearly complete...new pulpits fore and aft with Schaefer stanchions finish up the topsides. The new stainless steel centerboard is supposed to be delivered Monday and we'll put it in when the boat is in the travel lift. Had Alex, the fabricator, also make a stainless steel base plate to mount under the tabernacle that will hold the block for leading lines aft from the mast base. We plan to step the mast on the 18th...I hope to launch her before Memorial Day. Pictures of the restoration, including the installation of stiffeners for the hull, can be found at

Picasa Web Albums - Greg - Wallilabu

Almost there...thanks for your input...Greg

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.