Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-19-2009

CaptKermie is on a distinguished road
I use those aluminum carabiners that are stamped with "not for climbing" and sell @ 3 for $1 at the dollar store, someplaces they are 2 for $1 but they clip on/off just about anywhere and have plenty of holding power for their use. I haven't bent one yet. They would work great in those slots along the toe rail or at the base of the stantions. They are as cheap as you can get and they never rust and always work. I use those carabiners all over the boat for various duties, great little items they are.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2009
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Plastic fender hangers are for Macgregor 26 owners. A real sailor uses a round turn and a couple of half hitches.
Old 03-20-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKermie View Post
I use those aluminum carabiners that are stamped with "not for climbing" and sell @ 3 for $1 at the dollar store, someplaces they are 2 for $1 but they clip on/off just about anywhere and have plenty of holding power for their use. I haven't bent one yet. They would work great in those slots along the toe rail or at the base of the stantions. They are as cheap as you can get and they never rust and always work. I use those carabiners all over the boat for various duties, great little items they are.
I like that idea. Cheap, efficient, easy to use for the admial. Well done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 03-20-2009
Banned

mcfsailor is on a distinguished road
Hanging Fenders.

The cheap aluminium carbiners are an excellent idea but they do rust. Something about a steel spring in an aluminium hook. They are a great value but not for the marine enviornment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKermie View Post
Old 03-20-2009
Banned

mcfsailor is on a distinguished road
The Captains Hook Fender Hanger

For those that are interested...I received my new fender hangers today and wanted to share. These are very simple, extremely sturdy, hangers that fit the lifelines perfectly. They are made of UV white plastic and are about 1/4" thick. I ordered from the website and they seem to be a small company so I'm glad to give them the business.
Anyone interested in a hanger for their fenders that installs and removes easily should check them out. How can you go wrong for $2.50 delivered.

The Captains Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfsailor View Post
I have discovered a neat product for hanging your fenders. Better yet, it's half the price of anything else out there and free shipping. I ordered a set today.

The Captains Hook

When I get them I'll let you all know if thet are any good.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 03-23-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: DISABLED LINK TO NAUGHTY VENDOR'S WEBSITE
Old 03-21-2009
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
My wife bought these for our boat, and they work good.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap Fender Hanging Device-5400619.jpg  
Old 03-21-2009
Banned

NoStrings is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfsailor View Post
For those that are interested...I received my new fender hangers today and wanted to share. These are very simple, extremely sturdy, hangers that fit the lifelines perfectly. They are made of UV white plastic and are about 1/4" thick. I ordered from the website and they seem to be a small company so I'm glad to give them the business.
Anyone interested in a hanger for their fenders that installs and removes easily should check them out. How can you go wrong for $2.50 delivered.

The Captains Hook
Knowing a bit about plastics, it is remarkable to me that a company can actually sell something like this so inexpensively. The cost of the necessary tooling to manufacture the captains hook would be a few thousand dollars alone; let alone they are offering free shipping and, based on my research, at least half the price of other hangers specifically made for this application.

I have decided to purchase a pair for those reasons alone. I'll find some use for them, whether for my fenders, or for hanging fish. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 03-23-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: DISABLED LINK TO NAUGHTY VENDOR'S WEBSITE
Old 03-21-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Um... the raw materials cost and mold cost per piece is relatively minimal if they're injection molding these suckers with say 36 to a mold.... The cost of the plastic is probably a couple of pennies... the postage is probably less than $1... if they ship FIRST CLASS MAIL. They're probably making $1.50 or more per set they sell. They could also be extruding the plastic in that shape and slicing to make them, which would be even cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStrings View Post
Knowing a bit about plastics, it is remarkable to me that a company can actually sell something like this so inexpensively. The cost of the necessary tooling to manufacture the captains hook would be a few thousand dollars alone; let alone they are offering free shipping and, based on my research, at least half the price of other hangers specifically made for this application.

I have decided to purchase a pair for those reasons alone. I'll find some use for them, whether for my fenders, or for hanging fish. Thanks for the info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-22-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Um... the raw materials cost and mold cost per piece is relatively minimal if they're injection molding these suckers with say 36 to a mold.... The cost of the plastic is probably a couple of pennies... the postage is probably less than $1... if they ship FIRST CLASS MAIL. They're probably making $1.50 or more per set they sell. They could also be extruding the plastic in that shape and slicing to make them, which would be even cheaper.
Yeah, looking at the sharp corners and flat surfaces, these items look to me like they're stamped out of sheet plastic. That makes the production costs a few cents per item.

Still, they probably serve a purpose on the boat and I would use some just as tidies (wash line, etc) but the postage to where I live makes it less of a bargain.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 03-22-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Knots are more versatile and free. Yeah, international postage is a deal killer.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.