Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-22-2009

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
I think dragging the fenders is more forgetful than LAZY. I am completely guilty of the occasional forgetfulness. LAZY I am not.....EVER. I would say using some slick gadget to replace a simple knot would be lazy.It's not even adjustable like a knot.......i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfsailor View Post
For those that are interested...I received my new fender hangers today and wanted to share. These are very simple, extremely sturdy, hangers that fit the lifelines perfectly. They are made of UV white plastic and are about 1/4" thick. I ordered from the website and they seem to be a small company so I'm glad to give them the business.
Anyone interested in a hanger for their fenders that installs and removes easily should check them out. How can you go wrong for $2.50 delivered.

The Captains Hook
mcfsailor,

You've posted two links to this product in this thread. And you hail from the same location as the vendor of the product. Maybe it's just coincidence.

But you're relatively new here and we don't know much about you, so I need to ask whether you have any commercial/financial relation or connection with this product or the vendor?

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 03-23-2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: DISABLE LINK TO NAUGHTY VENDOR'S WEBSITE
Old 03-22-2009
Banned

NoStrings is on a distinguished road
These forums are really fun; everyone with an opinion.

Sailingdog: According to my, admittingly not expertise, knowledge; when I mentioned a few thousand dollars for a tool, I was referring to a single part-at-a-time cost, not a multi-cavity tool, which would be 20+ thousand dollars. Do the math, as they would have to sell every boat owner in the world dozens of them just to pay for the tool. Bad economics. Plus the molding times for something so thick would take forever.

Omatako: I went back to their website and they specifically mention plastic injection molding, which is relatively inexpensive per part, once the tool is made. All this has to be amortized into the part cost, plus they mentioned reatail means stores have to make some money. Bottom line is they're selling these for generally half what others charge. Stamping them would be cheaper, but (as MCFSAILOR stated above), they are UV protected and about .25" thick. Try finding material like that for stamping purposes; unlikely. I can't speak for shipping to New Zealand, but I can't imagine getting anything there cheap. Maybe they sail them over.

Don't get me wrong. Knots work just fine, but I choose to support companies for bringing out stuff for our hobby, without gouging the public. It only makes other producs a possibility. I hardly believe this company is laughing all the way to the bank.

I did order a couple of them, so once received, will post comments regarding how they shipped them, costs, etc. and whether the product actually works.
Old 03-22-2009
Banned

mcfsailor is on a distinguished road
Fender Hanger Discussion

Dear Mr. Pollard

It is purely a coincidence that I live in the same city (population 95,000) that this product is made. But for the sake of disclosure I can tell you that last Friday I found and went to this company to check them out and they are indeed a very small business that make a variety of products. I informed them of my comments in this forum and although they were gracious, they did not give me anything for free.
It must seem that I am new to Sailnet because I have not posted comments often yet I have been an active reader of this forum, for well over five years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
mcfsailor,

You've posted two links to this product in this thread. And you hail from the same location as the vendor of the product. Maybe it's just coincidence.

But you're relatively new here and we don't know much about you, so I need to ask whether you have any commercial/financial relation or connection with this product or the vendor?
Old 03-22-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfsailor View Post
Dear Mr. Pollard

It is purely a coincidence that I live in the same city (population 95,000) that this product is made. But for the sake of disclosure I can tell you that last Friday I found and went to this company to check them out and they are indeed a very small business that make a variety of products. I informed them of my comments in this forum and although they were gracious, they did not give me anything for free.
It must seem that I am new to Sailnet because I have not posted comments often yet I have been an active reader of this forum, for well over five years.
mcfsailor,

Let's take this discussion off-line. I sent you a Private Message.

Old 03-22-2009
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
If it was up to only me I would use a knot to tie off a fender, but for some reason my wife doesn't want to tie a knot...I know she knows how to. We have sort of a division of interests and jobs in regards to our boat, so we offer each other some latitude in our decision making. I'm more interested in the main systems of our boat, and my wife is more interested in the beautification of our boat...much like at home. Since my wife wanted something different for hanging our fenders, and it fell more into the beautification department then main systems, I gave in to her decision making on this matter. Also since she is the one that deals with the fenders more than I do, I thought that she might as well have it set up the way she would like it. It's the old give and take thing. Another thing that I really didn't care about was fender line color of fender covers, but she wanted them to jazz up the look of the boat, and now that we have them I have to say they look better than I thought.
Old 03-22-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
We use snap hooks on spliced eyes. There are times when fenders need to be deployed quickly and it's much faster to clip them to the toerail than to spend time tieing the knots.

Very bad practice to attach anything to your lifelines.
Old 03-23-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStrings View Post
I went back to their website and they specifically mention plastic injection molding, which is relatively inexpensive per part, once the tool is made.
Yeah, pretty much like sailing is inexpensive, once you have bought your new Oyster.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 03-23-2009

ALL MEMBERS:

BE ADVISED THAT WE HAVE BANNED THE INDIVIDUAL(S) RESPONSIBLE FOR PUSHING THE CAPTAIN HOOK PRODUCT, FOR CALCULATED DECEIT.

"mcfsailor", "NoStrings", and "Fro36" are no longer with us.

This might have turned out differently had the perpetrator(s) of this deceit been less indignant in their reply to my initial inquiry. Instead of owning up, he denied any suggestion of association with the product being pushed. This caused me to expend a portion of my weekend ferreting out the extent of the deception, which included multiple aliases and, among other tell-tale signs, a registered address with one dormant SailNet account that is identical to the business address for the Captain Hook product.

Let this be a cautionary tale for vendors contemplating similar tactics: Do not waste our time. While the temptation for free advertising may be real, in the long run you will only damage your marketing efforts.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 03-23-2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-23-2009
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Well done JRP!!

He has done himself more harm than he can imagine.