Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-19-2009

tager is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Sinking My Boat

To quote paraphrase mangomadness, this is a 'noooooo' thread.

I need to remove an illegal head on my boat. Direct discharge. Yes, I know some of you read the thread and debated it's legality. The gist of it is that IT IS ILLEGAL, I researched it and it's true.

I plan on fixing the head without taking the boat out of the water.
The outlet valve is a gate valve that closes fine.
The inlet valve is another gate valve that will not close. It has a length of garden hose attaching it to the head that is pretty long. I am going to dive under the boat in the slip, plug the inlet thru hull with a cedar plug, remove the upper hose clamp on the inlet hose, and drain the water. At this point, I am going to verify that the plug does not leak. So far this procedure is risk free as the hose end will be above the waterline.

Then I am going to remove the old gate valve, and put a cap over the thru hull.

I will have a few contingency plans:
Something to plug the hose with.
Underwater epoxy.
Plenty of different plugs.
Extra caps.

If it works out well, I am going to do it with the outlet thru hull.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2009
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
It would be interesting to take your heart rate before the procedure and around the time your remove the old gate valve. I used to get my heart rate up each time I pulled the paddle wheel sensor thru hull to clean it.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 03-19-2009

tommays will become famous soon enough
There is a pretty good chance that valve is Not gonna come off in a friendly kind of way and you will be pretty screwed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 03-19-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'm gonna second what Tommays said...what is your plan if, when you try to remove the gatevalve, the through-hull comes loose with it??? Don't be stupid about this... this type of work really requires you haul the boat. If the through-hull isn't attached to a flanged adapter, the chances of breaking it loose are pretty high.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-19-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Assuming things go as planned, until the next haul out rather than remove the valve and cap the thruhull, just put a plug into the valve outlet.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-19-2009

Sorta like this one? I will try to find one available in nylon or marine bronze.

I discovered through further research that the gate valves, are not marine grade, and are npt threaded, not flanged...

nightmare.

So I am going to go ahead and do the NPT plug for now, and just cap the thing later on.

Yikes.
Old 03-19-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tager View Post
Sorta like this one?
Like that one.... but when you do this, you'll be needing to remove the hose barb or nipple from the valve first... Be sure to support the valve with a pipe wrench to prevent it(and/or the thruhull) from turning while doing so. And the same while installing the plug.

You should also be aware that, since the valve is in all likelihood an NPT (ie tapered) thread and the thruhull is not, the valve is probably only hanging on to the thruhull by at most 2 or three threads - avoid torquing that assembly or you may get a bit of a surprise.

Mainesail had an excellent post on just this issue last year.

Installing Seacocks - Follow Up Info !!

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."

Last edited by Faster; 03-19-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-19-2009

Sweet, thanks for all the help. I am currently planning on buying 2 pipe-wrenches, a 1 1/2" npt plug, and a 3/4" npt plug.

I will make some cedar plugs to go in the thru hulls from outside, and definitely have underwater epoxy putty on hand. As well as some underwater sealant, plenty of hose clamps, an electric bilge pump, and some free time.
Old 03-19-2009
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Plan B or C might be: how far are you from a Travel lift or crane capable of plucking your boat out of the water?

Everybody has one:

Old 03-19-2009
Just another Moderator

No worries...

Most thru-hulls have a couple of small lugs inside the hole to allow a special tool to lock into them to prevent them turning during installation... so a perfectly round plug will have to be quite soft to properly seal.. maybe take a look at one on the shelf to see what I mean.
btw I edited the above post with link in case you missed it the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Plan B or C might be: how far are you from a Travel lift or crane capable of plucking your boat out of the water?
Indeed!....