Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-20-2009

scottyt is on a distinguished road
wheel lock installation ?

okay my boat has a yacht spec pedestal for the wheel. there is a hole for a wheel lock but the hole is not threaded and way large to try to thread for a wheel lock. the hole is around 1/2 inch and i was thinking about threading the hole and putting in an insert that is thread on the inside and out side, using lock tite to secure the insert. then i can use a more normal sized thread for the wheel lock.

basicly what size are wheel locks about, is it half inch, 3/8"s, 1/4?. i can make the insert and the wheel lock i just need to know what size range is common ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2009

Brucerobs2 is on a distinguished road
Same issue

Im interested in hearing the responses here as well. I have a similar situation on my '80 Hunter 27. Im not even sure who made the OE pedestal (label faded, anyone know?) but I want to install a brake, there is a hole in the correct spot (which I think is threaded on mine), but want to investigate installing one . If so, it seems to be pretty straight forward. Im not sure if the brake kits avail at WM will fit or not. Anyone else done this?
Old 03-20-2009

Another option

Found this while digging around on the hunter owners site, which might give you another, albeit expensive option. I guess I answered my own question.

Wheel Brake - replacement
Old 03-21-2009

patrickrea is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
okay my boat has a yacht spec pedestal for the wheel. there is a hole for a wheel lock but the hole is not threaded and way large to try to thread for a wheel lock. the hole is around 1/2 inch and i was thinking about threading the hole and putting in an insert that is thread on the inside and out side, using lock tite to secure the insert. then i can use a more normal sized thread for the wheel lock.

basicly what size are wheel locks about, is it half inch, 3/8"s, 1/4?. i can make the insert and the wheel lock i just need to know what size range is common ?
It isn't actually a wheel lock. It's a whole brake assembly. 2 brake pads, a bracket, the threaded rod and a knob. It isn't too hard a job, just a pain as you rip the top end of your pedestal apart. West has it ( link here ) at US$192

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1978 30' Hughes Northstar 1000
1964 20' Bertram Moppie
Old 03-21-2009

bruce my boat is a 83 h27. you might want to check to make sure its threaded. if you post a pic of your pedestal i will tell ya if its like mine and there fore a YS. mine has a big Y and S on the wheel nut

btw where are you in maryland
Old 03-22-2009

Same Pedestal

Scott,
Looks like we have the same one. I checked yesterday and was able to make out the mfg with a closer inspection and a quick web search. Also confirmed the hole is definitely not threaded contrary to my original reply.
I guess my remaining question is just whether the cheaper Edson brake kit at WM will fit, or I need to buy the specific aftermkt brake available at the link I posted earlier. I haven't found a definitive answer yet, and might just have to try it.

We're in Baltimore County, and keep her at at the mouth of the Patapsco. Boat is named Endurance. Are you in the area?
Old 03-22-2009

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
Your pedestal shouldn't be threaded, or need to be. The hole size should match the locking knob, and the brake end should match the spindle for the wheel. Remove your compass assembly, and you should see the space for the brake next to the sprocket for the driven chain. Sometimes you can easily disassemble the brake, slide it over the spindle, insert the lock down bolt/knob into pedestal hole, and thread it into the brake. Before you start trying to assemble the brake over the pedestal, shove some rags, into the cavity of the pedestal, so you don't drop any un-retrievable pieces into they abyss. Don't forget to yank the rags out when the job is complete.

I Don't Know! I Don't Know!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2009

bruce i am down town, by the harbor.

looks like i will be making one, maybe 2 if bruce wants one