SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

DIY tiller extension?

5K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bluwateronly 
#1 ·
Anyone make one? I am thinking the type on a swivel so you can move around the cockpit a little.

Eric

#2 ·
Use an old golf club shaft (from a second hand store/charity shop) and purchase a swivel mount from a chandler that's meant for the 'real' tiller sticks. The shaft diameter will be small so you'll need to adapt it with a collar of some sort to accept the swivel mount. Let me know if you work something out. I'd be interested.

#3 ·
sounds like a good idea there in the last post. I only used a tiller extension on my prindle19 cat and could not do without it. when you are hiked out on a trapezze there is no other way. Now, on the ericson26 thought about it and thoutht it would be usefull never did it. When I needed to take a pee or get a drink I just used a jib sheet and wrapped around the tiller and to both cleats on the side to keep her staight for a moment. You must balance your sails and even then she goes where she wants:) I thought if I had a tiller extension I could steer from cabin. I think you should get one from a small cat and fit it yourself. Check craigslist or ebay and you will find one cheap. Just be aware that it's a pain when not using it and on that sweet tiller you made you have to drill holes, I really hate to drill holes. However, sometimes it has to be done.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.