Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-21-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Installing a Raymarine Wheelpilot (S-1 or X-5)

I and several other members recently ordered new Raymarine Wheelpilot's for our boats. Some folks got the S-1 unit at great close-out pricing from Sailnet, while others like me purchased the newer version (X-5).

The primary difference between the two units is that the newer X-5 has a feature called "Rate Gyro Sensor" that helps it anticipate the motion of the boat, without the need for a rudder position sensor. So the S-1 units have an additional installation step for the rudder position sensor.

I have not installed our Wheelpilot yet. It just arrived yesterday from the Sailnet store. And I likely won't get around to it until after spring commissioning.

But I invite anyone with installation experience, or that is in the process of installing one, to post tips, hints, etc, here in this thread so that we can all benefit from the collective experience.

Looking forward to spring!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2009

norsearayder is on a distinguished road
ive got one also but will not install till the water gets soft
Old 03-25-2009

matt2 is on a distinguished road
How did the installation go?

Do you know if it is possible to convert an S1 to an X5?
I think the main difference is the control head and the core pack?

edit: Actually mine is a mkII drive unit with rudder sensor but there is no core pack.

Last edited by matt2; 03-26-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2 View Post
How did the installation go?

Do you know if it is possible to convert an S1 to an X5?
I think the main difference is the control head and the core pack?
Well,

I haven't completed much less begun the installation. It won't happen until sometime after spring commissioning. I was really hoping that someone who had completed the installation would post to this thread with useful tips before I tackle mine.

As for a conversion, my understanding is that you can swap an S-1 Corepack for an S-1G Corepack with Raymarine, which gets you the same rate-gyro stabilizer as X-5. Cost is uncertain, I was told "a few hiundred" by a Raymarine rep, but possibly as much as $400 (based on one report from another SailNet member.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-25-2009

orientalnc2010 is on a distinguished road
Hi John,
I just installed the S1 version on my 31, the rudder position indicator is a pain to install but with a bit of patience and some trial and error I got it done.
I did not have to build any sort of pad as the height of the sensor mounted upside down under the cockpit sole positions the rotating arm in the same plane as the tiller arm, this is not supposed to vary by more than 5%.
If you have rack and pinion steering be carefull when drilling the pedestal for the bracket that keeps the drive assembly stationary, the screws they send for this purpose are short enough so they do not hit the torque tube that is part of the rack. Also I have on a previous boat used the pedestal as the raceway for the motor cable, not so with rack and pinion.
If you have single lever control it is on the starboard side of the ped, this is where the motor should sit in it's normal position, this is a problem. If you then attempt to rotate the motor to the port side of the ped and align the back of the drive ring slot with the stationary pin the motor sits too close to the compass and it goes crazy. ( Continued)
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC
One of the two happiest days in a sailors life

Old 03-25-2009

Continued
Solution was to make a new slot in the back of the drive ring to position the motor low on the port side away from the compass, seems to still cause the compass to deviate about 4 degrees. Drill two 3/8 holes and connect with a dremmel tool. I am thinking about adding some reinforcement around the new slot as the material is very thin.
Also if you have the S1 and mount the rudder indicator sensor upside down, as I did, then two wires will need to be swapped, looks like the blue and green but I still need to call Ray to verify.
The location of the smartpilot computer is interesting, I finally mounted mine in the wet locker and have fashioned a clear watertight cover for it. I tried the hanging locker put it just did not work out.
The electronic compass is under the port sette about 3 feet forward of the hot water heater, this was the closest to the centerline that I could position it.
If you have the S1 and decide to tie it into the seatalk bus and have a seperate feed for the other instruments (so you can use the WDS without the AP on) then you need to hook up the red wire for the seatalk at the computer terminals. Manual say not to but it is a typo. I don't know about the S1G.(built in gyro)
Other than that it's a piece of cake.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC

Old 03-25-2009

Steve,

These are just the sort of tips I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

I actually have the X-5 unit which lacks the rudder sensor. But it is good to know that you were able to mount yours without having to build a mount pad -- I had worried about that and so went with the newer X-5 package. Of course, we have a steering quadrant (wish we had your rack and pinion arrangement!) so we might not have been so lucky anyway.

Regarding the location of the corepack, I am curious as to why you were not able to install it in the hanging locker? Darn, that is where I had planned to put ours.

In my case, I am actually replacing an existing (but defunct) ST4000 Wheelpilot. So most of the components are already in place (except the corepack, which didn't exist back then, it was all driven by the control head). We have dual-lever engine controls, and the existing motor is mounted on the starboard side of the pedestal. I'm hoping the new one will swap into that same place easily enough. But with my luck, there will be some surprises!

Thanks again!

Old 03-25-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
John, if you have the rudder sensor, keep it as you'll get an even beter response, and you'll also be able to see the angle on your display (good to check sails balance, for instance). Differently than the fluxgate sensor, in my experience, placing the corepack on a "motion prone" location will help your Gyro compute acceleration rates more efficiently, as those crystals will sense beter the motion allowing for yaw/axis correction.
Old 03-26-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Steve,

These are just the sort of tips I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

Regarding the location of the corepack, I am curious as to why you were not able to install it in the hanging locker? Darn, that is where I had planned to put ours.
some surprises!

Thanks again!
Hi John,
I could have installed it in the hanging locker but IMHO it is too cramped, just trouble shooting the unit or even changing a fuse would be tough. The access in the wet locker is much easier and the cover solves the wet problem. There is no reason not to install it in the hanging locker other than that.
PSC 31 #125
Ryoko
Oriental, NC

Old 05-02-2009

thisisus is on a distinguished road
Seeing if any of the readers who bought the S-1 wheelpilot have made progress on the installation. Bought one and should get this week to start putting it in. Like everyone else looking for advice and hints. Thanks
Thisisus
Islander 32
Mobile AL