Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 04-10-2009

GoslingNY is on a distinguished road
Please be careful...

Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to go aloft while the boat is on the hard.

I'm a rigger in Western Long Island Sound (my boat is at Glen Cove Marina) and will help you if I can.

Mike Robinson
RiggersWorld division of
Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
I bought our Beneteau 50 last July and the rig has never been inspected. I just bought an ATN Top Climber, so I can go up the stick at will. Do I need to have a professional inspect the rig, or is it something - with some research - that I can do myself?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2009
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoslingNY View Post
Do not, under any circumstances, attempt to go aloft while the boat is on the hard.

I'm a rigger in Western Long Island Sound (my boat is at Glen Cove Marina) and will help you if I can.

Mike Robinson
RiggersWorld division of
Home

Thanks Mike. I appreciate the reminder on the dangers of going up when the boat is on the hard.

I've taked with Steve (don't remember his last name right now) who does contract work at Brewers, and came recommended by my neighbors in the yard. He also let me watch him service winches (that's winches with and "i") and gave me some insights into doing that. I haven't given the official go-ahead because Mark at Brewers is so good that he'll see it gets done promptly, and I don't want to pay for the crane. Better to wait until she's in the water.

That all said, if things don't work out, I'll keep you in mind. Your right nearby and it's good to support a fellow Sailnetter.

Regards
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
Old 04-10-2009

GoslingNY is on a distinguished road
Please be careful...

Mike Robinson
RiggersWorld division of
Home

Quote:
I bought our Beneteau 50 last July and the rig has never been inspected. I just bought an ATN Top Climber, so I can go up the stick at will. Do I need to have a professional inspect the rig, or is it something - with some research - that I can do myself?
Old 04-12-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
nk235 lost his forestay soon after that last post. The post is called: lost rigging while sailing.

It wouldn't let me post the link because INSIDE THE LINK ADDRESS, it parsed the word rigging <-- like it just did there.
Ironic huh? I'm just glad it happened while I was bringing the boat over to get hauled and have a rigger take a look anyway. I decided to replace everything as well along with the new forstay and furler. Let me know how yours turns out and I'll do the same with mine.
Old 04-12-2009

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
Ironic huh?
Ironic? No. Not ironic.

May I remind you of my response to you when you posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
BUT when the rigging is as old as I am (25) it kind of scares me since I do like to go out and push myself and the boat in all sorts of weather.
Here's what I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead
Skip the inspection and replace your rigging. Remove, inspect and possibly replace your chainplates too.
I can't say it enough.

Stuff breaks because it gets old. It breaks in places that you can't see.

If you had posted five years ago that your rigging was twenty years old, I would have said the same thing.

REPLACE IT!
Old 04-12-2009

nk235 is on a distinguished road
I guess "lucky" is the term since it happened when I was bringing the boat to get hauled anyway and should not have used "ironic" I just thought it was ironic because I wanted to replace the rigging since last year when I first bought the boat but didn't have the money and if you really think of how many people out there are sailing on boats just as old as mine if not older with the original rigging. Ironic was used because the rigging actually failed 2 days after I decided to post something about it -