Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009

WesterlyPageant is on a distinguished road
here you go, I was really impressed by this. I hope it helps.

you can see more here:
Flickr: endeavor_64's Photostream

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2009

Omatako will become famous soon enough
We're all thinking of the same stuff - that's interesting.

I'm busy with mine as well. We also have three boards that get stowed when we're aboard. In our storm experience, they leaked like a holed bucket and made down below as dark as heck.

So I have decided to have a single piece toughened glass panel made in one piece to slot in when we need waterproof weather protection. Then the second set will be a stainless steel grate that is the same shape that goes in when we're on board and need security with ventilation.

The original boards will be used when we leave the boat and need just security.

The other thing that I have been thinking of is a central locking mechanism (automotive) that activates with a remote control. Then the locking is done from inside by remote control on the outside and no locks exist to be forced. The locking system can actually be made really strong without being unsightly.

"What happens when the batteries die and your central locking system fails?" you say. Well I'll put a pull cable from the locking mechanism to a locker on deck that is secured with a padlock. I reckon a thief who gets on board and sees a companionway with no locks at all on it will go off to find an easier target. I'm reasonably confident that he won't break open every locker on deck in the hope of finding a release. Maybe that's naive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-23-2012

OS2Dude is on a distinguished road
Re: Making Companionway Doors

I made a set of companionway doors from Red Oak that have replaceable panels. I rabbeted the sills and inserted an aluminum channel. The channel is .25" deep, and at the bottom I drilled some weep holes to allow any water to drain. The opening has a 1.5" batten that covers it and also is a mounting place for the hasp. It has been weather tight in some pretty good rain storms. The bottom has a bolt to lock it in place and the top is braced by a 1" channel so the doors can not be easily forced. The sliding cabin roof has a piece of oak attached to prevent the channel and panels from being raised when it is closed and locked.

I have pictures and a short article at ODAYOWNERS . COM under OWNER MODS / ODAY 23
Old 12-04-2013
At my Helms 27

drsutton is on a distinguished road

has anyone tried fabricating companionway doors with louvered shutters?
Old 12-04-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I built a set of hinged (lift off) doors years ago on our Viking 28, solid teak with louvres but not 'shutters' in the sense that they moved. It was a lot of work but looked great.. no pictures, unfortunately, long before digital

I sawed the louvre slats out of lumber, planed/sanded, notched the side pieces to accept them.. as far as I know they are still OK nearly 25 years on.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-04-2013

Capt Len is on a distinguished road

Louvres can be more easily made by dadoing the sides. cut a strip to tight fit the rabbit and cut into spacer bits. Rabit the ends of the plank to be slats and rip strips at same angle as spacer bits.Needs fou bits cut at 90 to start and finish filling the opening. Plan the number and size of bits and assemble with a dab of slow glue. Clamp mortice /tenons to finish. After 35 years, I still have x students come aboard and say"Wow, I helped make those."
Old 12-04-2013
At my Helms 27

I'm considering converting my companionway boards to doors. Has anyone done this?
Old 12-04-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsutton View Post
I'm considering converting my companionway boards to doors. Has anyone done this?
That's what my post above (#15) was about.. drop boards to hinged louvred doors.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 12-04-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

I have both plus some plexi ones. The best addition was a snap on Sunbrella cover that drapes down from the sliding companion way hatch cover. For the poster who was concerned about the UV degrading his newly varnished doors, this may be the ticket.
Faster likes this.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 12-05-2013
At my Helms 27

My thoughts about companionway doors made from drop boards is very straightforward. Glue up the boards, seperate by cutting down the center, attach hinges and mound. Since the drop boards already fit the opening, no other cuts need to be made.
Bill