Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009

ajohns27 is on a distinguished road
Making Companionway Doors

I am about to make some Teak companionway doors to replace my boards. And I would like to make them so that I can exchange the lexan panels for screens since I don't have a/c. I was wondering if anyone had made their own set of them and had any pointers in general, but most specifically on how to make the windows interchangeable while not able to leak?
Thanks
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-23-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The problem I see with that, is that most of the ways to make the lexan windows leak proof require installing them from the outside... and that means that a bad buy can uninstall them too...

The simplest way would be to have a rabbeted opening that the Lexan or Screen fits into, that has a groove and rubber seal in it... When the Lexan is in, the rabbet and rubber seal keep water out—but this works best if the lexan is installed from the exterior side...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-23-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
We have an acrylic dropboard for normal security, but I made a simple plywood facsimile, made some substantial cutouts in it and applied screening to it.

We simply choose which one to use based on the conditions we're in. If you have multiple drop boards you might choose to make one of them with screens and another with a lens and use them interchangeably as required.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-24-2009

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
I agree with Faster...I haven’t done it yet but that’s my plan as well.
Old 03-24-2009

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I've contemplated this upgrade too. I haven't got around to it yet, but have pretty much decided that when I do, I will not have the doors "replace" the boards.

Instead, I will mount the new doors just aft of the track for the boards. That way, we would use the doors for the most part while aboard, but still be able to drop the boards in place for more security (against weather, theft, etc).

I plan to build the doors with the screens permanently affixed, but have them somewhat recessed in a rabbet (as SD described) so that the acrylic windows (with gasket) can be set in place over them as needed. They'll be held in place by little wooden twisty toggle thingies.

Here is one vendor of companionway screens, etc, that might give you some ideas:

Glebe Creek Screenworks

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-24-2009

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
We have an acrylic dropboard for normal security, but I made a simple plywood facsimile, made some substantial cutouts in it and applied screening to it.

We simply choose which one to use based on the conditions we're in. If you have multiple drop boards you might choose to make one of them with screens and another with a lens and use them interchangeably as required.
My usual upper board is smoked acrylic also. We wanted some additional ventilation for overnights and this winter I made exactly what you're describing using 1/2" birch plywood ($10), some Pet-Safe screening (~$4) and scrap moulding. I sealed the edges with epoxy and finished with Cetol. Didn't go for teak to keep the cost down, especially since I'm not going to be using it all the time. I'm pleased with the results and the price was right

*When* (not if...) the screen gets $#&@'d, I can just pop off the trim moulding and staple in another panel.
fryewe likes this.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 03-24-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Same as ours only I used reg plywood and painted it instead. Works great, doesn't take a lot of space (but I have a single smallish drop board similar to yours shown)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-24-2009

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Here is one vendor of companionway screens, etc, that might give you some ideas:

Glebe Creek Screenworks
Another vendor (or "inspiration piece")... Zarcor. These look nice, BUT... they'll set you back over $800 with screens.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 03-24-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
My boat has three drop boards and a lock to secure the boat when vacant. When we are aboard the three boards are stowed and we have a single piece (similar to Faster's) which is a frame with screen. This frame has quarter-round trim on the inside into which a smoke colored Lexan panel fits, secured with four butterfly toggles. For privacy I have had a white panel made as well.

Works great, keeps out insects, and provides shelter or privacy when needed.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 03-24-2009

WesterlyPageant is on a distinguished road
I have some great pictures on my laptop, which is at home I’ll try to upload them and post a link. In the mean time I’ll try to describe a set up I saw at the Seattle boat show.

They had companionway doors (barn style) that had glass on the outside and screens inside. There was trim all the way around but when you’d look at the top end of the door, there was a handle that when pulled up was attached to the glass. This looked like just a piece of trim. It sat in a channel, just like your hatch boards would.

Another description is they built the frames of each door out is say ˝ stock. Then they placed screens on the inside of that and then finished the inside with trim. The outside had finish trim placed over the face frames but then overlapped the open area for the glass a ˝” or so. There would be a small groove routed into the frame for the glass to slide in from the top.

Like they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

There was also a thin groove on the inside of the overhead slider rails that had a screen too. This retracted into the cabin top. You can open the slider, but then close a screen.

It was a really nice looking set up.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.