Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-31-2009
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
our local Boater's World had a lot of items at 30 off on the first day. I've been selective in my frenzy but noticed that a lot of things I had my eye on have disappeared. All charts and the like were 30 off or more. I've picked stuff I know we must have to pass USCG and for Great Lakes navigation. Found a few stocking stuffers. I am waiting for a few choice items to drop as well. I don't know about the on-line store. They only show list prices and no mention of the closing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Last week I did stop by at WestMarine Palo Alto, my prefered store for many years ..... they are gone. WM has been closing some stores to adjust to the new times ....
Old 04-03-2009
Mark on Camper 58

I found out the on-line store is neglected & dead. There is no mention of the store closing. Store clerks say the warehouses are being emptied into the stores & on-line is non-functional. They are seeing some stuff that hasn't been around for a while. I picked up four of those big bulky class I PFDs the CG requires for offshore.
Old 04-05-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
I stopped in at the local Boater's World today, they are here until June 21. I picked up a few cleaning supplies and a horn but that's about it. I was looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 545. They have them in stock. On the shelf below it is a sticker saying it is priced at $999, which I believe is list. There is a sign stating that all electronics are 10% off "the original price" whatever that means.

Anyhow, that made th Garmin 545 $900 + 7% sales tax. I have seen the same unit, brand new and returnable, listed online for $750 + 0% sales tax + $14 shipping.

So as others here have said, a closing sale does not mean a bargain, or even a good price.
Old 04-06-2009
Mark on Camper 58

I agree on the electronics. Last year's models at list price. You can definitely do better on line. Those items have not moved much from the Grand Rapids shelves. I almost bought Epoxy needed to re-build my rudder but checked first at West. All considered it was a savings at BW of 10 pr gallon. I checked on line last night and found an E-Bay store selling low viscisity marine epoxy in bulk for 35 a gallon. Even with a hefty shipping fee it was a comparitive steal. I bought 6 yards of 19 oz carbon fiber twill and 4 gallons of epoxy.

I still have my eye on a couple of BW items - waiting for the next reduction.
Old 04-06-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
I bought 6 yards of 19 oz carbon fiber twill and 4 gallons of epoxy
19 oz is very heavy cloth.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-07-2009
Mark on Camper 58

Its a really big rudder. The blade is 35 wide and 70 inches tall. Shaft is 2-1/2 diameter SS. The leading edge is 6" diameter built up over the shaft. The original skin was over 1/2 inch thick with two layers of Kevlar built in. It was delaminating and the interior was water-soaked and moldy. I figure I will get four layers of 0.023 carbon with the 6 yards. There are some photos in My gallery. NICHOLSON58 http://www.sailnet.com/photogallery/...&ppuser=159746
Old 05-06-2009
Mark on Camper 58

I think I am up to about 2 kilobucks now. We bought lots of maps & Charts for the Great Lakes to the East Coast by St Lawrence. Type I Offshore Life jackets and auto inflate as well. There was a lot of 3M adhesive product, VHF antenna for 29.00. We also bought slickers for ourselves and four extras for guests. With my 9-5E feet I buy any shoe that fits and I found a bunch at 19 a pair. I found 1000 feet of messenger line I will use on the masts. My new grand daughter gets the Barbie fishing rod. I found a "how to tie knots" ages 8 & up for my wife - a bank breaker at 85 cents.
Old 05-06-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
That Garmin 545 finally dropped below what the online cost would be, so I grabbed it. I'm sure many of you saw my Garmin rant, but that has nothing to do with BW.

A new store opened here called Boaters Edge. They have a pretty small stock, but their prices are okay and they are nice people.
Old 05-07-2009

WheresTheBrakes is on a distinguished road
I wanted to buy an auto lifejacket, but there were none in any of the stores..

The line sale is ridiculous though.. 70% off stay-setX.. for our smaller lines that's .30 a foot !!

Just as an FYI - that has nothing to do with anything.. BW had $40m worth of stock (wholesale) on their shelves, and a "liquidation company" bought the lot for $14m.. so even if they sold their stock at 50% of wholesale, they would be making a fantastic profit.. (the VHF that was $199 retail marked down to $179 hardly qualifies..) but it might get down to that point. (I have yet to see any sailing hardware in the stores, it seems to have disappeared )

ahhh.. i didn't like em anyway, more of a WM guy..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------
1984 Starwind 22
"Julianne"