Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-23-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
YATAW - Yet another thread about waxing

But my question is different--REALLY!

Actually, it's probably not THAT different. But really, I've read TONS here on Sailnet about this, and I understand there's no quick miracle with gelcoat waxing. So I'm just asking for a recommendation for my specific situation.

Our "new" 25-year-old boat is 350 miles away, waiting for spring launch to sail her home. The boat has been waxed every spring for the last 13 years according to records, though it was done by the yard--probably just a one-step process (maybe a cleaner wax or something). But overall the hull looks decent, with just a few small marks here and there (spider dirt, etc.). No big rusty stains or oxidation that we could see.

GOAL:
- Simply protect the hull (yes we want it to look "decent", but don't expect anything fantastic)
- Get it done in a weekend (including washing and whatever we apply/buff off)

Next year we can get crazy with the all the compounding, polishing, glazing, etc. This year we just need to get her home, and we won't be able to wax once she's in the water.

Can anyone recommend a process/product(s) to use? Should we simply wash and then wax? If so, what should we use?
Thanks,
J
Old 03-24-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Collinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
But my question is different--REALLY!

Actually, it's probably not THAT different. But really, I've read TONS here on Sailnet about this, and I understand there's no quick miracle with gelcoat waxing. So I'm just asking for a recommendation for my specific situation.

Our "new" 25-year-old boat is 350 miles away, waiting for spring launch to sail her home. The boat has been waxed every spring for the last 13 years according to records, though it was done by the yard--probably just a one-step process (maybe a cleaner wax or something). But overall the hull looks decent, with just a few small marks here and there (spider dirt, etc.). No big rusty stains or oxidation that we could see.

GOAL:
- Simply protect the hull (yes we want it to look "decent", but don't expect anything fantastic)
- Get it done in a weekend (including washing and whatever we apply/buff off)

Next year we can get crazy with the all the compounding, polishing, glazing, etc. This year we just need to get her home, and we won't be able to wax once she's in the water.

Can anyone recommend a process/product(s) to use? Should we simply wash and then wax? If so, what should we use?
Thanks,
J
If just washing & waxing to protect just use Collinite Fleet Wax #885 Paste.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2009
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
If just washing & waxing to protect just use Collinite Fleet Wax #885 Paste.
Thanks Maine Sail!
Old 03-24-2009

Brucerobs2 is on a distinguished road
Wax

If you have a slightly oxidized finish like i did, dont let the wax dry completely before removing it or it will be really tough to get it all off as the finish is slightly pourous. Wax in small sections-wax on wax off. If you dont get it all off, it will look splotchy.
While there are plenty of valid arguments on which type of wax to use (paste vs liquid), you might consider using Nu Finish or similar liquid wax this year as its easier to remove off a oxidized, non-glasslike finish. It will go fairly fast if you take it off quickly.
I compounded this year, got all the mild oxidation off and it looks great. Waxed much better too.
As others will agree, there are no short cuts and your results will be determined by the effort.
Old 03-24-2009
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucerobs2 View Post
If you have a slightly oxidized finish like i did, dont let the wax dry completely before removing it or it will be really tough to get it all off as the finish is slightly pourous. Wax in small sections-wax on wax off. If you dont get it all off, it will look splotchy.
While there are plenty of valid arguments on which type of wax to use (paste vs liquid), you might consider using Nu Finish or similar liquid wax this year as its easier to remove off a oxidized, non-glasslike finish. It will go fairly fast if you take it off quickly.
I compounded this year, got all the mild oxidation off and it looks great. Waxed much better too.
As others will agree, there are no short cuts and your results will be determined by the effort.
Yep, I hear you. Our issue is time, because of the long distance. We get to the boat on Friday evening--nothing we can do then. We have all day Saturday (until dark), then Sunday until about 3pm before we have to go. There are 3 of us--me, my wife, and our 14-year old.

Do you think, given those parameters, we'd have a enough time to wash (and dry I assume), apply/remove one round of light compounding or polishing, followed by wax? That sounds like it's pushing it to me.
Old 03-24-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
I use Mequiars #44 Marine Color Restore to polish the hull (1-coat) and then two or three layers of Mequiars #56 Marine Pure Wax to finish it off. After two coats it looks good but three last all season long. Easy to apply and easy to remove, as long as it's 50-degrees or better. In colder weather it's tougher to remove. Whole process from wash down to final wax coat is do able in a weekend. With two working it could be one long hard day to complete.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 03-24-2009
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmhead View Post
I use Mequiars #44 Marine Color Restore to polish the hull (1-coat) and then two or three layers of Mequiars #56 Marine Pure Wax to finish it off. After two coats it looks good but three last all season long. Easy to apply and easy to remove, as long as it's 50-degrees or better. In colder weather it's tougher to remove. Whole process from wash down to final wax coat is do able in a weekend. With two working it could be one long hard day to complete.
Thanks mgmhead! We might indeed try for a 1 pass of polish, then 2 - 3 coats of wax, if we can pull it off.

Do you apply/remove by hand, or do you use a buffer in the process?

By the way, are you ready for Spring yet?!?
-J
Old 03-24-2009

Brucerobs2 is on a distinguished road
Time

You should be OK, with 3 people all working on the hull as long as you dont get too distracted with other projects-but your hull is bigger than my 27. I was working solo and took about 3 hrs to clean/compound/buff at a mellow pace.
I did a quick cleaning by sponge with Easy Off to remove the old wax, and stains, then compounded using a 10 inch buffer. Buffed by hand.
Then waxed by hand-another 2-3 hrs. I did it in two afternoons. Im pleased with the results, boat is similar vintage as yours. Is gelcoat original?

I wouldn't get too caught up with compounding if short on time and the finish is in decent shape. Sounds like you'll have more time next year when shes close to home.
Old 03-24-2009
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucerobs2 View Post
You should be OK, with 3 people all working on the hull as long as you dont get too distracted with other projects-but your hull is bigger than my 27. I was working solo and took about 3 hrs to clean/compound/buff at a mellow pace.
I did a quick cleaning by sponge with Easy Off to remove the old wax, and stains, then compounded using a 10 inch buffer. Buffed by hand.
Then waxed by hand-another 2-3 hrs. I did it in two afternoons. Im pleased with the results, boat is similar vintage as yours. Is gelcoat original?

I wouldn't get too caught up with compounding if short on time and the finish is in decent shape. Sounds like you'll have more time next year when shes close to home.
Yes, the gelcoat is original, though it appears to be in decent shape. It actually has some shine to it as is, since each winter it's been completely covered (to below the waterline) and waxed each spring. This is the hull, unwashed, under the cover as it is now:

Of course it's not perfect, but it's not bad to start with.

Just so I understand--you applied the compounding product with the buffer, but removed it by hand?

Thanks again,
-J
Old 03-24-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Jos,

I use an orbital buffer for removal, hand pad for application. A friend, former owner of an '80 Sabre 30 MkI, does hand application and hand removal of the same products except for the last coat, which is taken off with an orbital. I don't know why other than he just likes it that way. The results were equally great for both of us.

Be cautious of non-orbital high-speed buffers. Unless you know what you are doing, and are very careful with the tool, you run the risk of "burning" the finish.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD