Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012

Matthew Coggins is on a distinguished road
* Turtle Wax rubbing compound is an excellent good, better alternatives always exist everywhere.
* It Can be used to "rub out" the car with lots of effort.
* One will not need to go to this level and type of effort.
* Starting with the use of clay bar and recommended paste wax products from other companies will go far to making one a happy car owner, with far less efforts and better end results!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2012

maine89 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

I have some gouges to fix in my hull but I also have just bought all the supplies mentioned in your list.

Is it a better idea to do the compounding on the entire hull before doing my fixes so I can see the true color I want to match with gel coat? Then after the repair re-compound the surrounding area and then proceed with polishing and waxing everything?
Old 03-06-2012
Fr. Jeff

frjeff is on a distinguished road
Which First?

All of my teak is stripped and sanded - ready for Cetol Natural Teak.

My hull and deck is also ready for the full blown compound/polish/wax process outlined here. All Presta and Collinite on hand.

Which should I do first for best results - teak finish or hull and deck???
Old 03-07-2012
Fr. Jeff

Unbelievable!!

I'm geeked!

Just finished Step #1 : Makita 9227C with Presta Ultra Cutting Cream Light compounding the hull.

This stuff and result is better than I even thought after reading this great post.

My hull just glistens!! Can't believe the difference (and this thing was not oxidized at all). I can hardly wait (well, when arms recover) to do the Presta Swirl Remover, Presta Chroma 1500 Polish and the Collinte wax.

This old Monty 15 gal (#176) is going to look like new!!
Attached Thumbnails
Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax-img_1710.jpg  
Old 03-21-2012

Here is what I came up with on a 1975 oday with an unknown history on topside maintenance.

I'm quite pleased with the results but looking back at MaineSail's photos they don't really compare Very shiney when shot form the back and at an angle. Not too much straight on like the watch test. My boat is certainly older but I think I didn't compound quite enough. I pretty much put on what I thought to be reasonable amount of compound (similar to the photo MaineSail provided on the buffing pad) and buffed until it started to go away, then I cleaned up that area and moved on. It is very likely I should have been gauging something and deciding if an area was done before moving on, but didn't really know what I was looking for.

Photo is attached.

I used the buffer and all of the Presta products recommended by MaineSail, thanks!

Before:

After:
Attached Thumbnails
Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax-img_0738.jpg   Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax-img_0700.jpg  

Last edited by maine89; 03-22-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-22-2012

oomfh is on a distinguished road

I had a similar experience with a 1989 boat - first pass was a big improvement but still didn't meet expectations.

Went to auto body supply store (not Advance, not AutoZone) and purchased 1200 and 1500 grit wet sandpaper. After sanding, started over with compound, then polish, then glaze, then two coats of Collinite paste (and you can definitely see the difference between wax coat #1 and #2.)

Are you using a different grade pad for each product? That also makes a noticeable difference.

Maybe focus on a 3' section until you achieve desired results.

Be patient and perstistent.

Good luck!

Last edited by oomfh; 03-22-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-22-2012
Fr. Jeff

I'm thrilled with what I have on the Monty with just the first coat of Collinite on the hull.
I am going to wait on coat two until I have the deck and cabin compounded, polished, glazed and one coat of Collinite thereupon. Then I'll do the entire boat with Collinite coat two.
I did wet sand a few spots which had some scratches and gouges from PO rafting incident. Not there anymore!
Old 03-22-2012
But if not...

paperbird is on a distinguished road

very satisfied user of this process. Started with 1000 grit wetsanding then followed the steps as outlined. Shoulders will never be the same! Very helpful to have great friends willing to co-labor.

As a benchmark, our 42' took about 6 weekends a few evenings, probably 50 manhours total time.

now it's on to the topsides....
Old 03-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by oomfh View Post
I had a similar experience with a 1989 boat - first pass was a big improvement but still didn't meet expectations.

Went to auto body supply store (not Advance, not AutoZone) and purchased 1200 and 1500 grit wet sandpaper. After sanding, started over with compound, then polish, then glaze, then two coats of Collinite paste (and you can definitely see the difference between wax coat #1 and #2.)

Are you using a different grade pad for each product? That also makes a noticeable difference.

Good luck!

I did wet sand the blue stripe which had a lot more oxidation. I hit with some 600 then 800, 1000, 2000 wet. Really helped but the white is harder to work with because the oxidation wasn't as easy to spot.

With the compounding I didn't really know what I was looking for in terms of completeness. I guess if I was paying more attention to the photos I would have compounded more heavily until I had more of a mirror shine like MaineSail, but I kept thinking the mirror would come in later steps (which it mostly did).

I was just really worried that I wasn't noticing how much it was buffing away and suddenly I'd have a 2' hole in the gel coat.
Old 03-22-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oomfh View Post

Good luck!

Now that is why I take the time to write these how to articles! Nice job..

P.S. can I possibly use that photo to show what can be done?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.