Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopezian View Post
For (heavily discounted) sale: complete package of buffing tools and materials as specified by Maine Sail. (No, this isn't your usual spam.)

Sailors and Fellow Gelcoat Polishers:

I've grossly overreached. Reading Maine Sail's description of restoring gelcoat, I was so enthusiastic I purchased online his recommended tools and materials to the letter.

When the Presta products arrived, before the Makita buffer, I worked over by hand a small patch in the cockpit with Presta Gel Coat Compound. Amazing. A blinding, glossy surface appeared. Hey, this will be a cinch, sez I to myself.

It was not to be.

Undertaking the project with a full bag of tools and supplies, I could NOT replicate my first euphoric success. The best I could do with Gel Coat Compound was a cleaner, brighter surface but still dull and flat.

What the hell?

Turns out the patch I worked on was almost new gelcoat, applied by the previous owner in repairing some damage, and was only very slightly oxidized. The rest of the boat was built in 1985, however, and apparently has had little done to it since.

What I've concluded now is discouraging. I'll have to start wet sanding, probably with 400 grit ( tried 600, and that hardly touched it), and on up in steps to 1000, the most abrasive sanding that Gel Coat Compound can smooth out.

Well, at 79 years of age I'm both too feeble and too saavy to go over the boat four times with wet-or-dry and then do 5 coats of compound, polish, glaze, and Collinite twice--as Maine Sail recommends.

I intend to farm out the job to a far younger, far more vigorous boat shiner at my local boatyard.

So I have for sale:
1 Makita 9227C, with both handles, carrying bag, and accessories
1 32oz bottle each of Presta Gel Coat Compound, Ultra Cutting Creme, and Chroma
1 3M Compounding Pad #05711, unused
1 3M Polishing Pad 05713, unused
1 3M Foam Polishing Pad #05725, unused
1 Makita Compounding Pad (used once and cleaned)
3 Makita Polishing Pads (unused)
1 can Collinite 885

I'm truly disappointed it's come to this. I was looking forward to a few pleasant days of working on the boat and a spectacular result. But not all the wet sanding, thanks.

$275 for the lot.

Lopezian

It sounds like you want to hire some detailing company/guy to do the job.

Have you considered instead to hire just some random person (high school student?) to do it, using the equipment you already have? This is not rocket science (I have done it so I know) and by having someone just providing the brawn using your equipment, rather than giving the job to someone who puts 'Yacht Detailer' on his or her shingle, may save you as much (or more) to pay for the equipment.

Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2012

Lopezian is on a distinguished road

MS--

I appreciate your sympathy as much as your expertise, but the towel has been irretrievably tossed.

On the topsides of the boat I didn't use the 9227C at all. What I did I did by hand. When the Presta Gelcoat yielded essentially nothing, I recalled reading somewhere that old wax will impede the compounding, so I took a healthy Scotchbrite pad and a strong solution of dishwashing detergent and scrubbed like hell for a while. Then I tried the Presta again. Not much if any improvement. So it's back to studying Maine Sail's very knowledgeable instructions--particularly about the possible need to wet sand. OK. Start with 600. Did that, waiting for SOME gloss to show up. A very little bit did--sort of a sheen, not a shine. Try the Presta again. Not much help. Another swipe of wet sanding. Etc.

I was gaining ground but very slowly, so concluded I'd have to back off to a 400 grit. Then the 600, then 800, then 1000, and finally back to Presta products.

Whoa, Old Timer, you're getting close to a "project boat" situation here.

If I hire a pro to detail my boat, he'll use a power wet-sander, very likely, and your advice about an amateur trying that is sound: don't do it.

So I will follow that sage suggestion and look up a detailer indeed.

But thanks again for a thorough and savvy (and appealing!) discussion of gelcoat maintenance. Wish I'd run across that long ago.

But I've found Sailnet and its congenial, savvy sailors. I'll stick around here.

Cheers,

Lopezian
Old 05-06-2012

Lopezian is on a distinguished road

MastUndSchotbruch,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I do think I need a pro. My major problem is my ignorance of this whole process, in particular in diagnosing the level of oxidation and prescribing the appropriate treatment. I wouldn't know what to tell a young bucko with a strong back exactly what I want done. If you or Maine Sail were looking over my shoulder telling me what is needed, I find that bucko in a flash. But it's off to the detailer shop for me and Rowdy, my dear old (and shabby) Flicka. Thanks again.
Old 05-06-2012

Quote:
MastUndSchotbruch,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I do think I need a pro. My major problem is my ignorance of this whole process, in particular in diagnosing the level of oxidation and prescribing the appropriate treatment. I wouldn't know what to tell a young bucko with a strong back exactly what I want done. If you or Maine Sail were looking over my shoulder telling me what is needed, I find that bucko in a flash. But it's off to the detailer shop for me and Rowdy, my dear old (and shabby) Flicka. Thanks again.
Yup, I see your point. If you need to have the boat power-sanded, this may indeed be the best course of action.

And you wouldn't want _me_ to guide the progress, I just followed MaineSail's instruction to the dot. This is all I know about this stuff.
Old 05-14-2012

iambill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For (heavily discounted) sale: complete package of buffing tools and materials as specified by Maine Sail. (No, this isn't your usual spam.)

Sailors and Fellow Gelcoat Polishers:

I've grossly overreached. Reading Maine Sail's description of restoring gelcoat, I was so enthusiastic I purchased online his recommended tools and materials to the letter.

When the Presta products arrived, before the Makita buffer, I worked over by hand a small patch in the cockpit with Presta Gel Coat Compound. Amazing. A blinding, glossy surface appeared. Hey, this will be a cinch, sez I to myself.

It was not to be.

Undertaking the project with a full bag of tools and supplies, I could NOT replicate my first euphoric success. The best I could do with Gel Coat Compound was a cleaner, brighter surface but still dull and flat.

What the hell?

Turns out the patch I worked on was almost new gelcoat, applied by the previous owner in repairing some damage, and was only very slightly oxidized. The rest of the boat was built in 1985, however, and apparently has had little done to it since.

What I've concluded now is discouraging. I'll have to start wet sanding, probably with 400 grit ( tried 600, and that hardly touched it), and on up in steps to 1000, the most abrasive sanding that Gel Coat Compound can smooth out.

Well, at 79 years of age I'm both too feeble and too saavy to go over the boat four times with wet-or-dry and then do 5 coats of compound, polish, glaze, and Collinite twice--as Maine Sail recommends.

I intend to farm out the job to a far younger, far more vigorous boat shiner at my local boatyard.

So I have for sale:
1 Makita 9227C, with both handles, carrying bag, and accessories
1 32oz bottle each of Presta Gel Coat Compound, Ultra Cutting Creme, and Chroma
1 3M Compounding Pad #05711, unused
1 3M Polishing Pad 05713, unused
1 3M Foam Polishing Pad #05725, unused
1 Makita Compounding Pad (used once and cleaned)
3 Makita Polishing Pads (unused)
1 can Collinite 885

I'm truly disappointed it's come to this. I was looking forward to a few pleasant days of working on the boat and a spectacular result. But not all the wet sanding, thanks.

$275 for the lot.

Lopezian

Lopezian,
Do you still have these items? I'd be interested.
I can be reached at iambillsemail@gmail.com

If they are gone, does anyone have a recommendation on where to purchase the Presta goods these days? It looks like Defender has stopped carrying them.
Bill
Old 05-14-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Car Care Products: Presta Car Detailing Supplies, Car Wax, Car Polish, Buffing Compounds, Body Shop Detailing Products

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 05-16-2012

iambill is on a distinguished road

I'd like to get some 3-4" pads also due to some detailed areas. I haven't been able to find matching 3M pads in this size. Are they available?

Can anyone (Maine Sail?) cross reference the preferred Lake County pads, which I can get from AutoGeek.net?

Any better ideas?

Last edited by iambill; 05-16-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-16-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

I went to the Presta website to find dealers for their products. The local Presta dealer also had a full complement of 3M pads.

In general, I'd expect every auto paint supplier to carry them. There are thousands of them, often in out-of-the-way industrial parks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 05-16-2012

Arclight is on a distinguished road

Maine Sail,

Per your suggestion, I purchased the Makita 9227C kit which came with two polishing pads; a white and a yellow. My hull has some shine and is in fairly good shape so I intend to start at step 4 with the Finesse-it II and then finish up with the Collinite 885 applied by hand and then buffed out with microfiber cloths. The question I have is which of the two pads, the white or the yellow, should I use. The yellow has a finer nap.

TIA,

Arclight
Old 05-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Maine Sail,

Per your suggestion, I purchased the Makita 9227C kit which came with two polishing pads; a white and a yellow. My hull has some shine and is in fairly good shape so I intend to start at step 4 with the Finesse-it II and then finish up with the Collinite 885 applied by hand and then buffed out with microfiber cloths. The question I have is which of the two pads, the white or the yellow, should I use. The yellow has a finer nap.

TIA,

Arclight
I got the same although I did not use the pads that came with the machine (I already had ordered the 3M pads). Based on the comparison with the 3M pads, I believe the white one is for compounding, the yellow for polishing. Just as you suspected.
Arclight likes this.