Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Maine Sail,

Per your suggestion, I purchased the Makita 9227C kit which came with two polishing pads; a white and a yellow. My hull has some shine and is in fairly good shape so I intend to start at step 4 with the Finesse-it II and then finish up with the Collinite 885 applied by hand and then buffed out with microfiber cloths. The question I have is which of the two pads, the white or the yellow, should I use. The yellow has a finer nap.

TIA,

Arclight
I do a touch up polish on my boat every year. A green blended wool Presta pad with Presta Cutting Creme does a wonderful job.
Arclight likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-16-2012

iambill is on a distinguished road

Well, everything on the way. Now for the tough part. Should start a night or two a week after work next week. Hopefully I can have everything wrapped up by mid June.

I ended up purchasing the Makita 9227C from Amazon. 3M pads from Napa. Compound/Polish from Presta. 4" Lake County Pads from autogeek.net. Sure wish some retailer out there made it easy and stocked all these products in one place.
Old 05-17-2012

oomfh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambill View Post
. . . 4" Lake County Pads from autogeek.net . . . Sure wish some retailer out there made it easy and stocked all these products in one place.
Please let us know how the foam pads work out - I ended up using the green wool from Presta for the glaze - noticable difference. Guy at Autogeek had never heard of Presta

With the exception of the polisher, I got all of my product from here at very competitive prices + free shipping.

Body Shop Tools Air Tools Accessories Power Air Tools Automotive Tools

Am I allowed to post this link?
Old 06-01-2012

pfile is on a distinguished road

I've been reading this thread with interest as it would apply to my deck and cockpit.

Wonder if anyone could comment on cleaning and care for a 10 year old AWLGRIP job?

I have several areas of black steaks and having a terrible job of removing them. I tried applying star brite black stain remover but it certainly did take away some of the AWLGRIP shine, even when leaving on for a very short 20 second period a gentle rub and then wash with clean water.

How can I remove the old name from an AWLGRIP hull without compounding?

I know that I'm not supposed to compound or use any buffing on AWLGRIP and I'm at a loss to get the marks from the black stains and old name vinyl out ?

Any ideas

Thanks
Old 06-03-2012

F15EWSO is on a distinguished road

Hoping to get an estimate on amount of product needed for a 40' boat?

After reading and trying to get smarter am looking at the Collinite #885 (12 oz tin) and Presta Ultra Cutting Creme followed by Chroma.

I'd like to get the right amount of product needed a the nearby Body Shop and not get left short with 10% of the job left.

Does anyone have a guess-timate on how much they need for a 40 footer?
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-03-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15EWSO View Post
Hoping to get an estimate on amount of product needed for a 40' boat?

After reading and trying to get smarter am looking at the Collinite #885 (12 oz tin) and Presta Ultra Cutting Creme followed by Chroma.

I'd like to get the right amount of product needed a the nearby Body Shop and not get left short with 10% of the job left.

Does anyone have a guess-timate on how much they need for a 40 footer?
The amount of Presta would largely depend on how oxidized your gelcoat is. Mine was very lightly oxidized, so I used it very sparingly and did my 25' hull and part of the topsides with about half of a 32 oz. bottle. A lightly oxidized 40 footer would probably use 3-4x that (higher freeboard makes the area go up more than linearly), and even more for heavy oxidation.

Be aware that Presta has many different container types and sizes that are not shown on their website (gallon bottles, gallon tubs). My local shop had a 100-128 oz tub of the stuff (can't remember exact size). It was 3x-4x the size of the bottle for only 2x the price. I like tubs better because you don't have the yield loss from stuff sticking to the inside walls of a bottle, but the tub would have been way too much for my needs. Obviously, the tubs don't have as much shelf life as the bottles because they don't seal as well. But for your boat, a tub would me a very economical way to go since you're going to use a lot of it right away.

From my experience with the 885, I think you could do the whole boat with one can. Proper polishing with the Presta will reduce the amount of wax needed.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 06-03-2012

RhythmDoctor

Thanks for the response, I was aware that there were different sizes. I'm hoping to go with a "tub" or other economical size and then have the smallest bottle in reserve (with the option to return it if I don't need it) and was not aware that the #885 could go so far. As you state, good prep work will minimize the need for excessive wax.
Will watch and see if other estimates on product used come in.
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

Old 06-03-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
RhythmDoctor

Thanks for the response, I was aware that there were different sizes. I'm hoping to go with a "tub" or other economical size and then have the smallest bottle in reserve (with the option to return it if I don't need it) and was not aware that the #885 could go so far. As you state, good prep work will minimize the need for excessive wax.
Will watch and see if other estimates on product used come in.

A can of #885 paste can probably do a 40' boat three times +... For the Presta a 32 oz bottle should come close, if lightly oxidized. You can save some money by using all Presta Ultra Cutting Creme.

Do the first round with while wool second with blue Presta wool or yellow wool 3M pad. The results with Ultra Cutting Creme and a blue Presta pad or yellow wool 3M pad are about where you end up with Finesse It.... Try it first then buy Chroma/Swirl Remover if necessary. A gallon tub of Ultra Cutting Creme will usually be a better value..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
A can of #885 paste can probably do a 40' boat three times +... For the Presta a 32 oz bottle should come close, if lightly oxidized. You can save some money by using all Presta Ultra Cutting Creme.

Do the first round with while wool second with blue Presta wool or yellow wool 3M pad. The results with Ultra Cutting Creme and a blue Presta pad or yellow wool 3M pad are about where you end up with Finesse It.... Try it first then buy Chroma/Swirl Remover if necessary. A gallon tub of Ultra Cutting Creme will usually be a better value..
MaineSail,
thanks for chiming in; am I to understand that with the Presta Ultra Cutting and a yellow 3m on the second application/effort that would give me similar results as if I used Finesse It and polishing pad? If I like the results at that point then the Collonite #885 to seal it?
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

Old 06-03-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
MaineSail,
thanks for chiming in; am I to understand that with the Presta Ultra Cutting and a yellow 3m on the second application/effort that would give me similar results as if I used Finesse It and polishing pad? If I like the results at that point then the Collonite #885 to seal it?
Yes, through experimentation a friend and I have discovered the the diminishing grit in Presta can leave a finish darn near as good as Finesse It if you do a second pass with the polishing pad and a slightly higher finishing speed.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.