Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax - Page 19 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #181  
Old 06-10-2012
night0wl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,321
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 9
night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

MaineSail...here's my conundrum.

I have a relatively new boat, 3 years old. Live near an area of a power plant incinerator, so I get this particularly nasty soot that is not even coming off with dawn detergent wash. So I've thought about a few options, but I'm wondering what the long term effects of these are:

1) Using Collinite #920 to get down to bare gelcoat to rebuild the wax process. This stuff is cheap and is in the Collinite family. What I dont know or like very much is that it appears to use silica which means its an abrasive. I dont like abrasives at all because modern production boat gelcoats are thin as it is and I want to minimize the use of anything that could wear through it. Plus, abrasives inevitably mean a wax/buff application...which will be hard work to do right. Like a waxing/buffing process.

2) Using Interlux 202 solvent. This takes the grime *RIGHT* off. But I dont know what the long term effects of continual use of solvent are on the gelcoat. I intend to own the boat a long time, so solvents in general make me concern. I've heard things like it can make gelcoat soft/sticky, etc. In looking at the ingredients on the quart bottle I bought, the 3 components of this wash are: Methyl Isobutyl Ketone, Cyclohexanon, Aromatich Naptha. Also, this stuff is pricey...at $50 a gallon or $25 a quart

3) FXR or Oxalic acid wash. This stuff is in Black Streak Remover, FXR wash, ON/Off wash, etc. Seems to remove the soot/grease/grime and is a cheap product. I worry about its effect on metal including my aluminum toe rail, various stainless bits/bobs. Its impossible to mask everything off and then do a wholesale cleaning of the boat using this stuff. How much contact with metal is needed before pitting or damage to metal occurs?

Basically, I'm trying to get to bare gel-coat and working my way back up with wax coats of Collinite #885
__________________
S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #182  
Old 06-10-2012
Maine Sail's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maine Coast
Posts: 5,124
Thanks: 8
Thanked 87 Times in 61 Posts
Rep Power: 15
Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
MaineSail...here's my conundrum.

I have a relatively new boat, 3 years old. Live near an area of a power plant incinerator, so I get this particularly nasty soot that is not even coming off with dawn detergent wash. So I've thought about a few options, but I'm wondering what the long term effects of these are:

1) Using Collinite #920 to get down to bare gelcoat to rebuild the wax process. This stuff is cheap and is in the Collinite family. What I dont know or like very much is that it appears to use silica which means its an abrasive. I dont like abrasives at all because modern production boat gelcoats are thin as it is and I want to minimize the use of anything that could wear through it. Plus, abrasives inevitably mean a wax/buff application...which will be hard work to do right. Like a waxing/buffing process.

2) Using Interlux 202 solvent. This takes the grime *RIGHT* off. But I dont know what the long term effects of continual use of solvent are on the gelcoat. I intend to own the boat a long time, so solvents in general make me concern. I've heard things like it can make gelcoat soft/sticky, etc. In looking at the ingredients on the quart bottle I bought, the 3 components of this wash are: Methyl Isobutyl Ketone, Cyclohexanon, Aromatich Naptha. Also, this stuff is pricey...at $50 a gallon or $25 a quart

3) FXR or Oxalic acid wash. This stuff is in Black Streak Remover, FXR wash, ON/Off wash, etc. Seems to remove the soot/grease/grime and is a cheap product. I worry about its effect on metal including my aluminum toe rail, various stainless bits/bobs. Its impossible to mask everything off and then do a wholesale cleaning of the boat using this stuff. How much contact with metal is needed before pitting or damage to metal occurs?

Basically, I'm trying to get to bare gel-coat and working my way back up with wax coats of Collinite #885
Try NAPTHA. One of my favorites for removing wax, grime etc. and a lot cheaper than Interlux 202.....

PLEASE DO NOT worry about the thickness of your gelcoat. Even the thinnest gelcoat is 20-30 times thicker than the clear coat of a car and cars are buffed with the SAME polishes and compounds as boats are.

The new boats have gelcoat just as thick as any other boat. I buff 40 year old gelocaot boats that are still not burned through and that have been buffed with abrasives for 40 years. I'm buffing/polishing a 1978 Cape Dory 36 next week and this boat is buffed EVERY year and has been since about 1981 when this owner bought it. Boat still looks amazing for a 33 year old boat..
__________________
______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.


Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #183  
Old 06-10-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 624
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 6
lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Hi Maine,

Appreciate all your posts. Speaking of waxing the hull, have you ever heard of wet sanding with 1000grit sandpaper to remove small imperfections in the gelkote prior to putting on the wax? The imperfections are small raised dimples that have appeared over the years. It's not over the entire hull just around the bow on the starboard side which for years received the afternoon sun. It's an area about 2 to 3 feet above the waterline.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #184  
Old 06-22-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
bateauras is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Chapeau Monsieur Maine Sail!
Followed your instructions and my 32 years old O'Day look amazing after 3 days of work (hull & cockpit).
I used a 35$ 7" Variable Speed Polisher/Sander from Harbor Freight.
Thank You!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #185  
Old 06-22-2012
Senior, junior members
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Monterey California
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
our38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

I'm glad I found this link. We just purchased (yesterday) a 1980 ericson 38' that hasn't been out of the water, or possibly the slip, for about eleven years; with the exception of the haul out for survey. I'm very new to all this, only just learned how to sail, and decided I want to spend time on the water. The bottom needs repairs AND buffing, and the deck needs buffing really bad (I guess); it's all powdery, so I guess it needs the rubbing compound. I'll go through your list, purchase the tools and materials, and start on the deck this weekend to see how it goes. Where would be the best place to purchase the buffer, pads, and compounds? Would Home Depot carry that stuff, or do I need to find a Marine Supply store, or do I need to mail order it?

Any additional information or direction would be much appreciated. I'll be sure to take before and after pics and post them on this link whenever I get done. It may take all summer though , as I'm also rebuilding my house, yikes!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #186  
Old 06-22-2012
maine89's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
maine89 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by our38 View Post
I'm glad I found this link. We just purchased (yesterday) a 1980 ericson 38' that hasn't been out of the water, or possibly the slip, for about eleven years; with the exception of the haul out for survey. I'm very new to all this, only just learned how to sail, and decided I want to spend time on the water. The bottom needs repairs AND buffing, and the deck needs buffing really bad (I guess); it's all powdery, so I guess it needs the rubbing compound. I'll go through your list, purchase the tools and materials, and start on the deck this weekend to see how it goes. Where would be the best place to purchase the buffer, pads, and compounds? Would Home Depot carry that stuff, or do I need to find a Marine Supply store, or do I need to mail order it?

Any additional information or direction would be much appreciated. I'll be sure to take before and after pics and post them on this link whenever I get done. It may take all summer though , as I'm also rebuilding my house, yikes!
Congrats on your buy. I could only find the compounds online but I didn't check out any specialty shops. The buffer and pads I purchased on amazon but you could probably find those locally. The buffer on amazon came with a couple pads but I had already bought some others as directed so I'm not sure if yours will come with those or even if they are any good. Good luck.
__________________
1975 27' O'Day "Ice Breaker"
Heart is in Maine
Boat is in Rhode Island
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #187  
Old 07-21-2012
F15EWSO's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Going to SW Florida
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
HELP with a bonnet(s) or pad!?

I have a Milwaukee 7" buffer I bought used and can't seem to get a handle on the type of pads/buffer that goes with my particular model. It has a hard black rubber disk that came to me with a wool buffer with a hard plastic interior that seems to have the "loop" of the "hook and loop" combination normally referred to as Velcro on the inside. The hard black disk has no "hooks" at all. The Wool pad is fastened to the disk using a metal type bolt that fastens the whole combination together.

My dilemma is that when I go to shop a new set of pads I can't seem to find anything that describes my attachment type. I've seen some sold that tighten with a string too but that is not what I currently have.

ANy help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax-buffer-small.jpg   Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax-buffer-back-small.jpg  
__________________
F15E_WSO + 1
Deale Md, to Caribbean Oct 2012-Aug 2013
Boat Type Irwin 43 Mk III Center Cockpit--Sold it
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #188  
Old 07-21-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: marylands eastern shore
Posts: 125
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 3
bandaidmd is on a distinguished road
Re: HELP with a bonnet(s) or pad!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F15EWSO View Post
I have a Milwaukee 7" buffer I bought used and can't seem to get a handle on the type of pads/buffer that goes with my particular model. It has a hard black rubber disk that came to me with a wool buffer with a hard plastic interior that seems to have the "loop" of the "hook and loop" combination normally referred to as Velcro on the inside. The hard black disk has no "hooks" at all. The Wool pad is fastened to the disk using a metal type bolt that fastens the whole combination together.

My dilemma is that when I go to shop a new set of pads I can't seem to find anything that describes my attachment type. I've seen some sold that tighten with a string too but that is not what I currently have.

ANy help would be appreciated.

Does the shaft on your buffer have external threads? (most of the HD models are 5/8") If so it uses a flanged nut that tucks down under the nap of your buffing pad and sandwichs/clamps the pad and backer togetherusually on this type the backer will have a hex to accept the flange nut.. I had a ole cheepie model made by wen that used a screw into a hollow sfaft on the tool but the principal is the same either way. Post a pic of the machine if you need further help.

Last edited by bandaidmd; 07-21-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #189  
Old 07-21-2012
F15EWSO's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Going to SW Florida
Posts: 102
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
F15EWSO is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

BandaidMD,
I'll get a photo but right now it's raining buckets. So you say the flange is enough to hold/press the pad to the rubber ring and just holds it there? Your description matches the Milwaukee, I'll need to go the shed when rain stops and confirm and get a digital snap.
__________________
F15E_WSO + 1
Deale Md, to Caribbean Oct 2012-Aug 2013
Boat Type Irwin 43 Mk III Center Cockpit--Sold it
Boat Yr, 1989
Boat Length 43'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #190  
Old 07-22-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: marylands eastern shore
Posts: 125
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 3
bandaidmd is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

I went out in the shop to get the nut and take a pic for you but when i got in the drawer i realized i had lost it. What i used as a work arround was a nut like in the link that came off a cheepie harbor freight 4" grinder that has the same 5/8x11 thread. From my research it looks like we have old school tools and should upgrade everything from threaded shaft on.lol If you can make that spanner nut work the whole grinder from HF is less than $20 and when your done buffing you'll have a handy grinder to use.

Miscellaneous Hand Tools - Titan 22511 5/8 x 11 Flange Nut and Wrench Set

EDIT: looking back at your backing plate picture i think this style is probably exactly what your missing.

Last edited by bandaidmd; 07-22-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ryobi vs. Makita vs. Poliglow?? CLucas Gear & Maintenance 61 05-05-2012 06:02 AM
Wax or polish Jotun Gear & Maintenance 58 06-26-2009 01:54 PM
Tips For Buff, Polish & Wax Maine Sail Gear & Maintenance 0 03-24-2009 03:25 PM
What polish and wax you recommend? Giulietta Gear & Maintenance 7 09-21-2008 07:28 PM
Polish VS. Wax ddilman General Discussion (sailing related) 10 07-03-2006 04:43 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012