LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
So as mentioned I tried something new this year...I hired a pro

At first I purchased about $200 of materials (pads, compounds, finesse, etc etc etc) but with a looong list of things to do this Spring I bit the bullet and asked a professional in the yard for an estimate, it was $400. So I hired them and returned my $200 of materials, so one could say it only cost me $200 to have a pro do it?

I was there when they did it so I could pick up some tips. As usual, its all about technique and the proper tools which mirror pretty much what Maine Sail details in his "how to". I was very pleased with the work they did, but I admit it doesn't look as good as some of these post of DIY. Maybe next year when I have a little less to do

Cheers
T37Chef, I have been in the "same boat" often over the years. In our case, the yard charges roughly $340. And sometimes I've gone that route. Sometimes I've done it myself (though I've never compounded/polished until this year). But a few things about our situation pushed me to do this myself this time.

First, the yard uses 3M Cleaner Wax (I've known this all along). So it looks just fine but doesn't last the season. I've used Fleetwax always. When I washed the boat this spring, the water still beaded up from my wax job last spring.

Second, I had most of the "stuff" already, which I've been buying here and there over the last few years. So yeah, I still spent $250 on supplies, but it was over 3-4 years.

Third, to get the hull both compounded properly and waxed by someone who uses Fleetwax (or similar), it would cost more like $650 based on estimates I got.

Fourth, once I knew the boat was ready to splash, I couldn't get a launch date for like 7-8 days. So I had the time to do it without delaying launch.

Anyway, it was a lot of work, but I saved a lot of dough for the same job. Maybe the job by the pros using the right products would've been better, but maybe not. And I know it's better than the yard's cleaner wax job.

Will I do it again next year? Maybe. We'll see.
-J
Old 05-06-2013

hillenme is on a distinguished road

I have never done this before and followed Mainsailes tips just about to a T. It looks incredible - a wet, mirror-like finish on the whole boat. It looked like a dirty piece of chalk when I started out. With anything, I think the best advice was regarding the correct tools and products for this job. The guy two stalls down from me was admiring my work and told me he was going to do the same thing - with one of those Ryobi, single speed things with a terrycloth bonnet on it. I'm glad I will have launched by the time he tries that. Thanks Maine!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
where, who, what, really?????
I spent 100 just on frigging compound, and mine looks like what I'm seeing here.
I'll pony up the bucks next time and get a good foundation.
Chuckles,

The person I hired is Mike Collinson, "Top Notch" Mobile Marine 443-983-3206 or collinsonmike1@ gmail.com. He is a young guy whom I think is trying to start up a business of his own. He used to work at Pleasure Cove Marina (where Cheshire Crab is located). I observed him and his crew do a 45' Motor Yacht before I spoke with him, they did a great job on his so I got the estimate on the spot. They attached that thing like a swam of bees.

He did my boat by himself. He first cleaned it, then used 3M Compound, a commercial grade of Finesse II, and followed up with wax (I cant remember what wax he used?). He spent the better part of the day there while I did final engine hook up etc etc.

All in all, it was worth it this year. It doesn't match the results some are getting with Maine Sails how to, but time was not in my favor this year

Any shine I can get on a 30+ year hull I'll take it. The bad patch work done where the colors don't match is only notable when on land, cant tell when its in the water so I'm happy. Hey my hull looks better than a lot of others. Now onto the teak!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-06-2013
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
He first cleaned it, then used 3M Compound, a commercial grade of Finesse II, and followed up with wax (I cant remember what wax he used?).
That sounds like a lot more bang for your buck than what I was looking at from the yard.
Old 07-29-2013

Shredrick McGnarlson is on a distinguished road

Is the process for non skid the same minus the wax. i.e. clean, compound, cutting creme, then Woody's Wax instead of collinite? Can non skid be compounded?

Thanks,

first timer
Old 12-01-2013

pnewsom is on a distinguished road

MainSail, thanks for all the great advice. I have an old Bluenose Sloop that could use a good polish, so I'll put your tips to work!
Peter
Old 03-25-2014

Gregrosine is on a distinguished road

We have a 35 foot sailboat. How much compound and wax will we need?
Old 03-26-2014

aj19 is on a distinguished road

Very Good! can you give any suggestions for removing year old motor oil spots on fiberglass?
Old 03-26-2014

Gregrosine is on a distinguished road

Results look great. This is our first year preparing for a splash. with a 35 foot boat how much compound and wax will we need?
Old 03-26-2014

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrosine View Post
Results look great. This is our first year preparing for a splash. with a 35 foot boat how much compound and wax will we need?
32oz bottles will leave you with some extra. Could be done with 16oz....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.