Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
AWL sells recommended products for their paint. My boat is AWLgripped and until last year I simply washed and waxed (with good wax, not polish!). I then had the yard prepare the boat for launch and they used AWLwash and AWLcare. However see my previous about machine buffing. But I will say the boat has not looked as nice except just after it was painted. This year I ordered some of the AWL stuff and plan to use it as directed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2009

preservedkillick is on a distinguished road
Great information Maine Sail. Nicely done. Interesting that the wax is just a protection layer. I was planning on skipping the wax, with the intention of painting my topsides in the fall or next spring. Now I wonder if I can bring my topsides to an acceptable appearance just by going through your steps an skip the painting. I'd like to keep the gelcoat if I can..one less thing to worry about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Seagrass
Boothbay Harbor, ME
Alberg 30:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-31-2009

ereiss is on a distinguished road
3M pad conversion to Lake Country?

Halekai;

Thank you for the highly detailed write-up. On my prior boat I did the "dip in plastic" but with my new to me Freedom I really want a proper wax finish. Your contribution is invaluable.

Could you, would you provide a conversion from your 3M pad recommendations to the Lake Country ones? While you say the color determines the aggressiveness I am really using your work as a cookbook approach and don't want to add too much of any spice to the recipe.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Ed
Being There
Freedom 38 #154
out of Jamestown, RI
Old 04-04-2009

glnosail is on a distinguished road
Lake Country pad matching

I have the exact same question as above. I bought the 3m Superduty rubbing coumpound, Finesse it II, Maguires Swirl REmover, Maguires Show Car glaze, Lake Country CSS pads, and 3M wool pad. In practice, I realized I didn't know exactly WHICH lake country pad to use with Finesse it II, Swirl remover and Show Car Glaze. I can see the order of courseness in Lake Country's brochure, but they use terms like 'finessing' and 'swirl remover' that don't seem to follow the order of products with the same words in the labeling. At one point, I seemed to end up with less shine after applying swirl remover with a finer pad than what I had with Finesse it II and a more coarse pad. Also, can you provide the best machine speeds to use at each step? I also am a recipe kind of guy, so exact instructions are helpful. I suppose over time a person gets a feel for it, but to start I'd like to follow an exact guide. MaineSail, your help is invaluable! Thanks in advance for all your advice and any follow up you can give.
Old 04-04-2009

pop5225 is on a distinguished road
Hull wax

Thanks for the Info. If I can't a good shine following that, nothing will. Thanks again, Pop
Old 06-18-2009

rhoudini is on a distinguished road
Question colored hull deep south..

Hello, I am new in this foro I have been reading a looking for information to remove the oxidation and wax our boat. it is a 40 sundancer.

the only thing I am not sure is between fleet wax #885 and insulator wax.

we have a blue hull and we are located at Miami-Florida

which one we should use? I was thinking use Fleet Wax 885 but now I am not sure.

"If you are in the deep South, or have a dark colored hull, donít bother with a Carnuba"

Thanks so much! very nice post!
Old 06-18-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Insulator

For your area, and colored hull, I would opt for insulator wax..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 06-18-2009

rhoudini is on a distinguished road
Customer Service answer!!!

Thanks for your fast answer!
I Ask the same question to a customer service guy just to now what they said about this.
here his answer:

"If you are asking that the wax would melt off the finish once applied and then exposed to hot temperatures, that is false. The #845 Insulator Wax basically has the same ingredients as the #885 Fleetwax except the #885 has a higher concentration of them. We sell a ton of each in the South and have no problems like the one mentioned.
Now maybe if you left the can in a mall parking lot all day exposed to the hot sun, then I would say it would melt.

Mike Oczkowski
Customer Service"

I will go for insulator wax at least I'm sure that one is going to work fine. people suggest fleetwax but i don't want to take that risk
Old 01-05-2010

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Presta Cross Reference Chart

Maine:

Thanks for your "as usual" comprehensive and informative posts.

I used your tips to help revive our cabin house last summer - my dock neighbor said in jest that if I made it any shinier, it would be a hazard to navigation.

While normally bad form to revive an old post (Forum Admin: this one should be a sticky), I came across a new cross reference chart published by Presta that my help subscribers to this post, so I thought I'd put the Presta X-Ref Link here.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 01-05-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Is there a way to determine whether the paint job is awlgrip or gelcoat? I know nothing about marine paints, but the hull on my '75 Newport 28 is a nice navy blue, and could use some sprucing up. The PO is long gone and probably didn't know anything about the paint anyway. It looks like a non-pro job, as there are ripples in the finish.

What should I do to figure out which type I have?

Monrovia, MD