Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2010

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCarolena View Post
Like the Dog said, or another alternative is that I've seen buffing pads that will fit a palm sander (the round random orbit kind). However, I've never used one so can't comment on how well it works.
Metabo SXE400

The 3" pads from Griots work well on the unit also.
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2010

hazmat17 is on a distinguished road
thanks folks - been eying the fein for other purposes....
Old 03-19-2010

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCarolena View Post
Seems like the problem is applying the Finesse It with a cotton rag. In order to get the best polish (and this is the step that really brings out the shine), you need a good buffer and foam pad for the Finesse It. Anyway, try the Finesse It with a buffer before resorting to wetsanding, I think you will be pleased with the results.
Used the Finesse It last year for the first time, makes a huge difference. Many people commented on how good the hull looked, and it has kept the shine.

The only thing I have been doing in addition to what MS suggest is apply Interlux Teflon Wax Sealer, it's easy to apply and seems to prolong the bead and shine, but I cant say its doing anything significant?

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by T37Chef; 03-19-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-30-2010

jetdrvr393 is on a distinguished road
Windows?

Many thanks for the great article. I have followed your instructions and my 31 year old hull looks great. Now it's time to do the topside and I have a couple questions. I bought the Makita polisher and am concerned about the windows and other detail areas that are smaller than the the diameter of the wheel. How do I go about getting in to those areas and can I tape of the windows with blue masking tape safely to avoid them? Or do they make a smaller diameter buffing wheel I can use in these areas?

Thanks

Joe
Old 04-11-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by oomfh View Post
Do I care if I get On & Off on my bottom paint if I'm going to sand and paint the botton after I clean, polish and wax the hull?
Yes, especially if it is ablative. The acids will eat the copper right out of it..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Actually, no, if you're going to sand and paint the bottom AFTER you clean and polish the hull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oomfh View Post
Do I care if I get On & Off on my bottom paint if I'm going to sand and paint the botton after I clean, polish and wax the hull?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 04-13-2010

Paalderson is on a distinguished road
thank you so much for the informative post. We purchased a new Jeanneau in August of 09, the hull obviously looks pretty good and I would like to keep it that way. I am unsure after reading through your post where to begin with a new hull and would appreciate your thoughts. Also Jeanneau is known to wax the molds pretty heavily, is this detrimental to the process and how do I determine that? Thanks again...
Patty
s/v Patriche II
Jeanneau 50ds
Annapolis
Old 04-14-2010

rmtayloriii is on a distinguished road
I've got the same year of boat in fresh water. Finesse It II then wax. That's all you should need. If you can keep after it regularly that's all you should need for a long time.

Blue Foam from LCC for Finesse It or the 3M foam that has been recommended. I don't see any difference between the two.

I also got a small random orbital polisher from Griot's Garage for the deck which saved me a lot of time and worked well. I highly recommend it for large cockpits and decks.

I haven't found a place that carries Presta stuff so I have not tried any of their products but would like to.

BT
Catalina 400
Old 04-15-2010

arisatx is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmtayloriii View Post
...I haven't found a place that carries Presta stuff so I have not tried any of their products but would like to.

BT
Catalina 400
BT:

Try Presta Online Store - Home
V42#186
s/v Little Wing
Old 04-19-2010

gallilaw is on a distinguished road
Sander/Polisher combo ?

I have a 23-year-old 27.5 foot sailboat and don't plan on getting anything bigger. I have read some reviews of random orbital sanders, and other reviews of polishers (buffers), but I can't help asking:

Can anyone recommend one tool of reasonably good quality that could perform well as both an orbital sander and a polisher? I know that such a tool might not equal the performance of the best single-purpose sander or single-purpose buffer, but there might be a tool out there that will perform well enough in each category for the limited number of hours I will be using it each year.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.