Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010

trisailor33 is on a distinguished road
Polisher vs. Sander

Most sanders spin too fast to be good polishers. For my boat with lots of small areas needing polishing I use a Hitachi right angle drill at its lowest speed settings. The model is something like Y10BR.
San Diego
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
All day and into the evening (4/20) my harbor frieght 7" sander buffer never gave up the task! I must say, my arms will fall off sometime today! (4/21) Based on the OPs advice My 1982 Oday 30's big blue boot stripe and the creamy white gel coat hull now gleam in the sunlight! Who woulda thunk it could happen?

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-21-2010

harbin2 is on a distinguished road
I have been debating for several weeks which polisher to get. I'm about decided on the Makita. A little over a week ago, I picked up a Harbor Freight 7" electronic for $50. It seemed fine except for one thing. At the lowest speed, it ocillated from about 300 to 1000 rpm. This made it hard to control. I took it back. I asked a guy at the marina if his did the same thing and he said it did. The unit is rated at 1,000 to 3,000. At higher speeds, it seemed to run at a much more constant speed. Have you had the same problem?
Thanks
harbin2
Islander 30
Old 04-21-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Low speed does go intermittent, but a little bit higher it's ok and spreads the compound without throwing it off.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
kptmorgan04 (02-28-2014)
Old 04-21-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
I bought one of the HFT buffers and unfortunately it is not a very good knock off of the Makita, in any way shape or form. It is not a no-load design and gets very, very hot, to the point of smoking and burning skin, when used or attempted to be used at low speed with a heavy compound and wool pad.

Just for grins I tried to compound my 10 foot dinghy with and and nearly killed it, smokey electrical stink dead, in about 40 minutes..

I suppose if you ran it at higher speeds the fan on the motor and the higher current may keep it cooler but I did not want to be running at over 1500 RPM to do that.. My current Makita has perhaps compounded 60+ vessels all of them at least three times as big as my ten foot dinghy.

Denise must have purchased one of the good ones..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 04-21-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04-22-2010

hazmat17 is on a distinguished road
Just thought I'd post an update. I have compounded and waxed the hull with presta gel coat & ultra cutting cream. Followed by 2 coats of fleet wax. The results are nothing short of spectacular on my 23 year old Freedom. Perhaps he was just hamming me up, but the yard manager said I could retire from my day job & he'd hire me to poilish boats.

I've wet sanded the topsides as they showed the most oxidation, much improved, but haven't compounded & waxed yet (waiting for my 3" polisher to show up from griots).

On the topsides I have many black specs that don't seem to sand out, not sure what it is, embedded dirt or mildew? Most of the specs were removed with the wet sanding (400-800 grit), but some remain. I figure I'll compound and seal with wax and hope the sun bleaches them out?

A point of information, the Presta Chroma 1500 doesnt' seem to exist any more. Ultra Polish is thier new "heavy polish" followed by the swirl remover as "medium" and finally hand glaze as lightest. I've got the ultra polish & swirl remover on order, plan to experiment on the topsides this year and then the hull next season...

Regarding upkeep - it didn't take but one rain event for the black water streaks to re-appear (even over the wax), any recommendations on how to treat them, Boat soap alone doesn't seem to do it. Starbrite makes a "black streak remover" Star brite - Catalog - Product Detail. Or perhaps a "cleaner wax" (one with some mild abrasive in it).

Lastly, I'd like to request a similar tutorial on filling scratches in the gelcoat. All the dock rash from the previous owners is now on proud display since the rest of the hull is nice and shiny... Probably next fall's project
Old 04-29-2010

gallilaw is on a distinguished road
Hookit pads fit Makita 9227 polisher?

Will the 3M hookit SBS compound and polishing pads fit the hook and loop backup pad that comes standard with the Makita 9227?

3M's promotional copy makes it seem that their hookit SBS system is non-standard. It would be nice to know if their pads will fit the Makita hook and loop without having to buy a 3M hookit backing pad as well.
Old 04-29-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallilaw View Post
Will the 3M hookit SBS compound and polishing pads fit the hook and loop backup pad that comes standard with the Makita 9227?

3M's promotional copy makes it seem that their hookit SBS system is non-standard. It would be nice to know if their pads will fit the Makita hook and loop without having to buy a 3M hookit backing pad as well.
Yes, it will fit, but the backer that comes with the Makita is rather lame compared to the 3M version..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 04-30-2010

pamarine is on a distinguished road
Help the newbie

I just started compounding a 38' that is oxidized. Never done this before, grabbed a 9227cy, some 3M Super Duty Compound, and Finesse It II. I am using a SM Arnold "Tuffer Buffer" Compounding & Polishing Pad #57-375 (It's all the local supplier had).

So far all I've done is the transom, and while it looks great right up close and at off angles, when you stand back about 10 ft it's all uneven and hazy. What am I doing wrong?
Old 04-30-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You really should read Maine Sail's post on polishing and waxing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamarine View Post
I just started compounding a 38' that is oxidized. Never done this before, grabbed a 9227cy, some 3M Super Duty Compound, and Finesse It II. I am using a SM Arnold "Tuffer Buffer" Compounding & Polishing Pad #57-375 (It's all the local supplier had).

So far all I've done is the transom, and while it looks great right up close and at off angles, when you stand back about 10 ft it's all uneven and hazy. What am I doing wrong?

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.