Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-26-2009

trecksail is on a distinguished road
And that is why I would never use 5200 for anything on my boat! I have and I'm sure many here have also damaged hull and deck glasswork when trying to remove a previously bed 5200 item. I don't have the numbers in front of me but 5200's breaking strength is much greater than fiberglass. According to the manufacturer it is a PERMANENT adhesive. In my humble (depending who you ask) opinion, NOTHING on a boat is permanent!

Yes, there are those who say that 5200 has uses. So, I have to concur that if I had a 16 year old daughter, I may consider using 5200 to "secure" her bedroom window lets just say from stray drafts. But thank god I don't have a 16 year old daughter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2009

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
I've done it twice. The first time took four hours with wedges, levers, wire, 5200 solvent, and lots of collateral damage. The second time took 25 minutes with the scraper blade on a Fein multimaster. It stunk as the blade melted its way through the 5200 but it was easy to clean up and there was minimal damage.
Old 03-27-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
The crack filler is like a thinned epoxy, it works very well on HARD SURFACES and rotting wood. It isn't for leaking portlights. Basically, if you want a temporary kludge you can buy a toilet bowl seat (big beeswax donut) for about $4 and use the wax to seal the frames for now. Anything better will still leak again soon anyhow, at least thewax is cheap, easy to apply, easy to remove. (And you must clean it off to apply anything better later with the new portlights.)

You might be able to break the bond by hitting the frames with a torch (have an extinguisher on hand just in case). That will cause most sealants to break down and as long as you get them hot without overheating the fiberglass--that should do it. If the thought makes you uncomfortable--don't do it that way. A professional strength heat gun might also work for you.

I like the idea of using the Fein but of course that means buying tools.
Old 03-27-2009

sailbot is on a distinguished road
This is one of those time I shud have left well enough alone,
I got some DEBOND on order. when I get the frames off I'll have to fix the busted Fiberglass. Im hoping to stick a wedge in broken spots and goop epoxy into the broken bits, then let set and reinstall everything sealed with Lifecaulk, curse you 3M
Old 03-27-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
If you use any clamps when working on the busted fiberglass with epoxy, be sure to use wax paper, so nothing sticks.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-28-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Sailbot, before you go "strcking bits" and placing curses...consider that 3M would be the first ones to tell anyone DO NOT USE 5200 UNLESS IT WILL BE FOREVER. It was the wrong material to use--if it was used--on those frames.

And, you're about to make the same mistake of using the wrong materials without consulting a maker as to how to do the job right. Find the West System Epoxy web site, look at their article archive on how to properly fix fiberglass, and fix the cabin sides properly before you reseat the frames. Just gooping stuff in is likely to leave you in the same situation you started in. If their articles don't tell you exactly what you want to know, call them. They provide free technical assistance (your dime for the phone call) to anyone who asks, and they just hope you'll return the favor by buying their products. (Which are certainly competitive.)

They are both great companies, that produce top quality products and top quality support. If someone misuses them--that's not their fault.
Old 03-28-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second what HelloSailor said about not barging ahead and making the situation worse. Do the repair properly, and don't do anything that is going to screw the future repair up as a stop gap measure. If you really need to protect the ports from leaking, use duct tape and a large trash bag and tape the trashbag over the ports.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-30-2009

Its allways good to blame a PO for a mess your in. but in this case its true, I would have stuck to Lifecaulk,
I guess the 3M is just dooing what they said it would, Sorry 3M

Any way decided on cutting the whole mess out, I'll just use the old frames for a guide for my jigsaw, then I got a fresh new surface to work with.

Allways nice to have bigger windows anyway...
Old 03-30-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailbot View Post
Any way decided on cutting the whole mess out, I'll just use the old frames for a guide for my jigsaw, then I got a fresh new surface to work with.
What are you going to replace it with?

If you have some extra time, snap some pictures for us.
Old 03-30-2009

I was going to get some smoked Lexan and not use frames at all, I'll just LifeCaulk and #8 stainless bolts, I can wait to see her with smoked windows, now that will be sexy...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.