Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-30-2009
midlife crisis member

AllThumbs is on a distinguished road
I just did mine. Here is how it turned out. I used clear silicone to seal them. I know you can't use polysulfide (3M 101). I am not sure if life caulk is a polysulfide of a hybrid. I know many will say no silicone on a boat. Others say it's ok for windows only. I used 3M 101 for everything else.
Attached Thumbnails
Replaceing my windows nightmare-window3.jpg  
Old 03-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Since the port is mechanically fastened, I would probably have gone with butyl tape instead of Silicone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-30-2009
midlife crisis member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Since the port is mechanically fastened, I would probably have gone with butyl tape instead of Silicone.
I am trying to limit the trips to the store to 700 or so for this project, so I figured I would go with what I had.
Old 03-30-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Butyl tape, last I checked, is far less expensive than any of the 3M marine sealants, and if you're going to give the back of the coaming complete coverage, it might well be worth a trip to get the butyl tape, since you'll probably run out of the 3M 101 before you're done anyways...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThumbs View Post
I am trying to limit the trips to the store to 700 or so for this project, so I figured I would go with what I had.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 03-30-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
tape vs silicone

Having just purchased a half roll of tape from one of the local auto glass shops for $13.00 and comparing that with a tube of silicone from the local home improvement store at less than $10.00 I'd have to say the tape was more expensive. Also having used silicone successfully to seal several areas on my boat I disagree with those that say it has no place on a boat. If used properly it does what it is designed to do, that is seal things up from water intrusion.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 03-30-2009
midlife crisis member

I hope we are not highjacking this thread. The PO of my boat used clear silicone to seal all the deck hardware. It's a pita to remove, but it did do it's job. My deck was still dry.

I think if it's used as a GASKET (between mating parts), it works ok. If it's just filleted on after the fact, it's useless. This is where it get's its bad name. Also, the fact that it leaves a residue forever

In any case, back to the window. (I was really only trying to show that the frameless dark lexan looks ok)

Eric
Old 03-30-2009
Telstar 28

You got taken... Online a 3/4" x 30' roll is about $5. See HERE.

I doubt you'll get a 3/4" x 30' layer out of a tube of 3M 101.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneSpeer View Post
Having just purchased a half roll of tape from one of the local auto glass shops for $13.00 and comparing that with a tube of silicone from the local home improvement store at less than $10.00 I'd have to say the tape was more expensive. Also having used silicone successfully to seal several areas on my boat I disagree with those that say it has no place on a boat. If used properly it does what it is designed to do, that is seal things up from water intrusion.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-30-2009
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
You got taken... Online a 3/4" x 30' roll is about $5. See HERE.

I doubt you'll get a 3/4" x 30' layer out of a tube of 3M 101.
I guess there is butyl tape and then there is butyl tape. What I bought is actually a 1/4 inch dia bead, not tape, and the half roll is almost a foot in diameter. I don't think I was taken. I'd rather pay a bit more for quality any day. Also a $5.00 roll online increases by another $9.79 for shipping so my math says it's more expensive.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

Old 03-30-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneSpeer View Post
I guess there is butyl tape and then there is butyl tape. What I bought is actually a 1/4 inch dia bead, not tape, and the half roll is almost a foot in diameter. I don't think I was taken. I'd rather pay a bit more for quality any day. Also a $5.00 roll online increases by another $9.79 for shipping so my math says it's more expensive.
Well I bought it online also and I paid $4.50 for a roll. I bought the 3/4 wide tape but the 1/4 bead was available also.
Old 03-30-2009

sailbot is on a distinguished road
Hey AllThumbs, your windows look awesome, I an only hope mine will lok as good. I think I will use the Butyl Tape and then just trim the excess with an exacto knife, Love the smoked look