Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-25-2009

sailbot is on a distinguished road
Replaceing my windows nightmare

Hi there , I finally got sick of leaking windows on my Crown 23. there are 4 windows, 2 at 18X6 inches and 2 at 8X6 inches.

The windows are surrounded by an aluminum frames that are bolted thru the deck sides with #8 nuts and bolts. Now the nightmare part

I removed all the bolts and the frames are held solid by some kind of dried up glue, most likely 3M 5200. I lost patience and tried to pry the frames off with a big screwdriver, after a horrible cracking sound I found the fiberglass had delaminated and split around the window. so now the frames are still stuck fast and the fiberglass is splitting

Do you guys know if I can maybe heat the frames or try to disolve the glue.
Any ideas of where to go from here. My windows are really leaking bad now.
Is there a way to seal them without removing the frames.
Old 03-25-2009

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
Damn man...that really sucks,
I dont know about 5200 properties, but I often use heat (from a heat gun) with good results, to get stuff apart.
Good luck with it.
Old 03-25-2009

jarcher is on a distinguished road
I have no idea what I am talking about, so be warned

Is there enough room between the bottom edge of the frame and the lower deck and the top edge of the frame and the top to cut the window and frame out completely? If you can do that and have a few inches left over, maybe you can replace the windows with flush mounted ones. See this:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...ted-ports.html

Just a thought.

You would have to figure out a way to finish the inside, because the frames won't be available to fill in.

And I promise, I'll stop pushing this! It just looks so cool...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2009

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
As water leaks through the windows' sides, some of it passes to the fiberglass and causes osmosis. Delamination is most probably due to this. I am sure you did not apply enough force to break sound fiberglass. The breaking is due delamination due to osmosis. In my opinion if you are planning to change the hatches, use force and remove them. You have to repair the fiberglass any how, therefore breaking the fiberglass is not really a problem. After repairing the fiberglass make sure you apply a coat of epoxy to the sides of the fiberlass where the hatch is located. In this way you can decrease the possibility of delamination even if water penetrates.
Old 03-25-2009

timebandit is on a distinguished road
Try a guitar string for a flexiable saw.

Use wooden dowels for handles.

If you have to you can have one person inside and one outside, always fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailbot View Post
Hi there , I finally got sick of leaking windows on my Crown 23. there are 4 windows, 2 at 18X6 inches and 2 at 8X6 inches.

The windows are surrounded by an aluminum frames that are bolted thru the deck sides with #8 nuts and bolts. Now the nightmare part

I removed all the bolts and the frames are held solid by some kind of dried up glue, most likely 3M 5200. I lost patience and tried to pry the frames off with a big screwdriver, after a horrible cracking sound I found the fiberglass had delaminated and split around the window. so now the frames are still stuck fast and the fiberglass is splitting

Do you guys know if I can maybe heat the frames or try to disolve the glue.
Any ideas of where to go from here. My windows are really leaking bad now.
Is there a way to seal them without removing the frames.

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 03-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
There's something called Debond, which is designed to help remove/dissolve 3M 5200... well worth using.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-25-2009
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
There's something called Debond, which is designed to help remove/dissolve 3M 5200... well worth using.
I'll second that. Debond makes it a quick job of ungluing anything that was glued with polyurethane adhesive like 3M 5200. Spray a bit, give it a minute to work, pry with a screwdriver, marvel at ease of application, clean up with alcohol (presumably alcohol neutralizes it).

I have a couple of aerosol bottles, not sure if it is still being sold - it seems to come and go.
P.S. Here is the website - Marine Formula , seems to be very much available.
Old 03-25-2009

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
I used DeBond for my windows and it did a good job at dissolving the 5200. You need to give it time, more the better. Also if you can score the 5200 with a razor or the guitar string saw idea, it will work faster. I would make sure you have good ventilation.
Don't try the other dissolving product on the market. It doesn't work as well.
1976 #552
Old 03-26-2009

sailbot is on a distinguished road
Thank you much for the ideas, I thought of just cutting around the old frames , but the cut on the top side of window would be too close to the deck, ( be a bugger to seal). looks like Debond is it(thanks SD). I looked on the WEB and it is still available

Has anybody heard of " Captain Jacks creeping crack filler" This stuff goes on like water, seeps into very small spaces and then hardens, They have some at our local marine store. wont fix my delam probs but may stopp the leak.

terry
Old 03-26-2009

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I never heard of Captain Jacks creeping crack filler but I did use another "captain" and it worked for tiny cracks, nothing major.