Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-25-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Question Rope Clutch or Jam/Cam cleat for traveler?

I would like to hear your suggestions/comments on what to choose and why for my new traveler instalation...clutch or cam/jam cleat?

Boat: Tartan 37C
Traveler: Garhauer MT-UB2

Note: the traveler will not have the cam cleats as shown in the picture, but a dodger "conversion kit". Inward of the lower sheave will be a 90 degree turn down using a turning block to a lift/deck block to a ______?

Safety and ease of operation are most important, performance a plus. Cost is also a consideration. The ability to add-on clutches is also a must.

Thoughts? Why one over the other and what brand/type do you recommend.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
I use these

What I like about them - is they rotate. So whether you are single - handling or have confusion at the cockpit - they just work. These are what I use and highly recommend for your setup as I use them on mine. I used to have the non 360 degree but found they were not versatile enough for the conditions / people I sail with...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 03-25-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I like cam cleats, since they're bit more secure IMHO. Although, I'd second the Spinlocks, if you have the space and budget for them.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 03-26-2009
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
I also like the cam cleats for this application. I have my traveler sheets on a continuous loop so that as the high side gets shorter the line gets re-used on the low side. I have routed the lines so that the cam cleats are next to one another on the port side and either can be wrapped on a small cabin top winch if needed. With the continuous loop and cam cleats I can hike or ease the traveler from the helm; which allows me to trim from a broad reach to close hauled without grinding the mainsheet if needed.
Old 03-26-2009

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Depends on where your traveler is mounted on. Mine goes right ahead of the dodger. The lines run through a stopper on each side, so I don't leave the cockpit for any adjustments. Also, it enters under dodger, so no holes were needed.
Old 03-26-2009
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Where is the traveler mounted? Do you have a pic of the old one?

I don't like rope clutches on a traveler. Its like putting one on the main sheet, its more a hassle than what its worth. The little spinlock guys are cool. If the cam cleats on my trav. go, then I'll replace them with the little spinlocks. Already need to intall the one I bought for my spin.
Old 03-26-2009
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Anything that's secure and that you can release in a controlled manner with one hand... a rope clutch doesn't qualify. The rotating spinlocks are nice units , release easily under load and work at a wide range of angles.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-26-2009

121Guy is on a distinguished road
Traveller Controls

Use the cam cleats. They are the right tool for a line that is constantly adjusted....like a traveller. Like most boats with lines led aft, the clutches may be more valuable when used for halyards and other control lines not adjusted as often. You only have room for so many clutches with a fair lead to winches. Think of the traveller control as "freeing up" two of those for more important jobs.

121Guy
Old 03-26-2009

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thanks folks, cam cleats is what I thought one should use, but had seen a few boats using clutches and I wanted to be sure

I am going to check out the spinlock, they're ugly as hell, but since when do looks matter

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 03-26-2009

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
One question that no one asked, if you plan to take the lines to a winch then the locks are a much better way to go. Also cam cleats are much harder on the line. I have had very mediocre luck with the Spinlock jambers shown in high load, small diameter line situations.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies