What ATF to use on new ZF-6? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-25-2009 Thread Starter

What ATF to use on new ZF-6?

I just installed a brand-spanking-new tranny in my 1972 Northstar powered by a 15 year old Universal M4-30. It replaced a Hurth 50. I've looked at the zf-marine.com site but can't seem to locate the recommended automatic transmission fluid. Anyone know?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-25-2009

It should say

If it's a Hurth/ZF it should have a label right on it telling you what to use..

Here's the link to Hurth/ZF's lubrication list. The ZF-4 to ZF-115 transmissions fall under Hurth's 04D class of lubricants which are ATF fluids.

If you scroll down to the 04D category of lubes on this link you'll see all the approved ATF's you can use in that tranny.

Hurth/ZF Approved Lubricant List (LINK)

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-22-2011 at 07:41 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-26-2009
Sea Slacker

curious. looks like any of the ATF fluids is approved.
for my transmission (Yanmar) the manual specifies ATF-M which is a designation I was never able to find on anything (so I used the same ATF my van takes ). I wonder if they also accept pretty much anything (and why all the different fluids for cars, then?)
post #4 of 4 Old 03-26-2009
Aspiring to be a Mexican

The auto transmission manufacturers use different types of ATF to achieve different types of grip inside of the transmissions. Type F, the ford type stuff has some abrasive in it to help the bands grab. If you use a different type the unit slips. If you put Type F in the wrong transmission it will shift firmly and it will wear out quickly. As far as BMW, Lexus, Porsche, whatever, I can't keep up anymore.
If you're looking for the highest quality lubricants Swepco can't be beat. I've never seen a gearbox running Swepco fail other than normal very broken parts in race trannies, but not worn out. In racing big things break sometimes.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.