Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-26-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Wind Instrument Decision..??

OK I am real close to pulling the trigger on a new wind instrument.

I had my heart set on the TackTick T033 until I learned that it needs 12v power to the display and wil not run on solar or internal battery. The head and display are identical to the solar model except for the lack of solar and the ability to move it to the v-berth on a windy night for monitoring wind speeds.

Unfortunately for me I am having a totally mental block on paying $500.00 more for the same solar technology I can get in a $3.00 calculator. I don't want a display, if I buy TackTick, that I can't move around the boat and I don't see paying a premium for wireless technology that I can't fully take advantage of.

The rest of my boat is Raymarine so I'll probably just pick up an ST-60 seeing as the spar is already down.

I would love to try TackTick but the $500.00 up charge for $3.00 technology is an insult to my better judgement and has ticked me off so much that I am almost angry at them for even offering the T033..

What do you guys think? I need to buy a new wind instrument before the Defender sale is over as the sale prices are better than my commercial discount there.

Sorry for the vent but I'm sick of being bent over for $500.00 clams more for "new" old tenchnolgy that has been in calculators since I was in third grade..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Maine Sail—

I have the TackTick gear and love it... even with their price premium.

It is rather sad that they charge a $400 premium for the wireless system, but the Raymarine system is $116 more than the TackTick T033 system and requires more work to install. If you went with the T033 system, you could always add a second display later...

One thing I do like about the TackTick wind instrument display is that it can switch between normal mode and closehauled mode. The closehauled mode only shows ±60˚, rather than the full 360˚.

BTW, the reason I went for the whole system, even though I had both the ST60 tridata and wind, is that the wind system was constantly giving me problems. I had replaced the cable up the mast once and the transducer once, and still had issues with it. BTW, the speed and depth/temp transducers are compatible between the TackTick and the ST60.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-26-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2009

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
That's an

That's an expensive calculator..

How do you like the digital display vs. analog. I really do prefer analog. I used a digital last summer and found it a little odd but did not honestly use it long enough to base a good judgment on it?

Somehow I knew you'd be the first to respond. You must have a Rocna/TackRick forum stock ticker set up in your doggie enclave/command central..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 03-26-2009

paulk is on a distinguished road
I wonder if there might be a $497 reason that it's not the same technology as your $3 calculator. Could a Tacktick techie give you better information than a salesperson at Defender? I believe our Tacktick instruments (I don't recall the model #) do require 12v power to one of the units, in order to provide the "broadcast" of the display data, but our unwired displays are taped in the cockpit and have worked flawlessly for more than two seasons on their solar/integral battery power.
Old 03-26-2009
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Paul—

You're probably thinking of the Hull Transmitter, which powers the speed and depth/temp transducers. It does require 12 VDC power, but interestingly does have an internal battery, so you can actually run the instruments for quite some time without 12 VDC going to the hull transmitter—probably because it was designed to be able to run off of the accessory solar panel they sell.

The NMEA interface also requires 12 VDC, and also has an internal battery AFAICT.

One minor point I'd make is that the calculator and the TackTick display aren't quite the same thing. In the case of the solar powered calculators, most would run on just the solar panel output alone, without any batteries—at least the ones I butchered as a kid.

The TackTick instrument head has to have some charging circuitry and a lithium ion or lithium polymer battery, as well as the small solar cell. Lithium-based batteries do bad things when they're overcharged... and that makes the TackTick instrument a bit more complicated and probably cost a bit more than just the $3 of technology that is in a solar-powered calculator. I seriously doubt that it is $400 worth of circuitry, battery and solar panel... but it is probably more than $3 worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
I wonder if there might be a $497 reason that it's not the same technology as your $3 calculator. Could a Tacktick techie give you better information than a salesperson at Defender? I believe our Tacktick instruments (I don't recall the model #) do require 12v power to one of the units, in order to provide the "broadcast" of the display data, but our unwired displays are taped in the cockpit and have worked flawlessly for more than two seasons on their solar/integral battery power.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-26-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-26-2009
Telstar 28

Yes, but the fact that it has worked flawlessly far longer than my Raymarine ST60 gear ever did are massive points in its favor.

I do like the wind display, even though it is only a pseudo-analog display. The arrow/pointer on it can be customized a bit, since they have a couple of different choices for it.

One other interesting point about the TackTick display is that you can display the input voltage of the hull transmitter on the digital displays...It seems to be as accurate as the voltmeter in the solar panel charge controller or my volt-ohm-meter... so can be useful at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
That's an expensive calculator..

How do you like the digital display vs. analog. I really do prefer analog. I used a digital last summer and found it a little odd but did not honestly use it long enough to base a good judgment on it?
Don't forget Garmin.

Quote:
Somehow I knew you'd be the first to respond. You must have a Rocna/TackRick forum stock ticker set up in your doggie enclave/command central..

Telstar 28
New England

Old 03-26-2009

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey,

If I were in the market today for a wind instrument, I would get one with an ultrasonic sensor and NMEA 2000 interface.

Maretron

No moving parts, nothing to get broken by a bird, simple connection, etc.

Barry

Old 03-27-2009

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Do the Maretrons actually exist yet?

A web search only finds them at pyacht, and the data sheet web page on the maretron site comes back as an error. Sounds like it is still vaporware.
Old 03-27-2009

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Yes, they exist. I saw them at the Toronto boat show, and indeed, spent a lot of time pacing between the Furuno and Maretron booths. They got a lot going on there.

Maine, I regularly consult a site called Panbo.com for marine electronics. I saw this on the Airmar "vaneless" type:

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Sailing with an Airmar PB200
Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: Sailing with an Airmar PB200 - Part II

It's a bit of a multi-function sensing unit for your masttop and the economics might make sense for you.

The discussion with the articles should give you plenty to mull over above and beyond TackTick's pricing issues.
Old 03-27-2009
Telstar 28

One serious disadvantage to the Maretron. It has no vane. If the electricity goes out, it gives no indication... the more traditional wind instruments will still function as a windex in that situation.

Telstar 28
New England

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.