Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-27-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

backcreeksailor is on a distinguished road
Replacement Built-in Iceboxes ?

I'm looking at a 79 C&C that is missing the original top loading built-in ice box... The wooden lid from the original is still there, as is the wooden cabinet surround. Just the plastic ice box insert is gone.

Does anyone have any idea where a replacement could be found?

Also, cost differential aside... Would it be worth considering a Marine Refrigerator as a replacement rather than the icebox if the boat in question doesn't have a genset?

I've found auto-switching fridge's that actually sense when the available power running off of the alternator's DC power or off of dock AC power and can switch back and forth on it's own. But those look pretty pricey, (think $1000+ for a college sized mini fridge).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2009

nickmerc is on a distinguished road
Back Creek,

I live on and keep my boat on Back Creek. I have seen the C&C you are looking at. There are lots of comparable boats for sale in Annapolis that need less work. Anyway, back on topic. You can build an ice box if you want to. I have seen kits online that use plastic coated rigid insulation. I cannot remember the names off-hand. Instead of getting a refridge, you can install a cold plate in the ice box. That way you can still dump a bag of ice in if you do not want to run the compressor. I can usually go about 24hrs between compressor runs. I need to run it for about an hour to recharge.
________
Zoloft lawsuit info

Last edited by nickmerc; 08-18-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-27-2009
S/V Sabbatical

Snboard976 is on a distinguished road
Its not too difficult to get some insulation put a coat of resin over it and create a new ice box. Cut a piece of wood for the top with a piece of insulation under it that will fit inside of the open cube you created.

The main problem with refrigeration is not the cost of the refrigeration unit, but finding a cost effective way of keeping the batteries charged to power the refrigeration unit. In my experience unless you have serious charging capability an icebox will serve you better.
Old 03-27-2009

funsailthekeys is on a distinguished road
reefer for boat

I just installed a small sub- zero freezer from Compact Appliances. It's AC/DC and runs on 4 amps when on hard freeze. The compressor is 12 volts so I just hard wired it in on a breaker. The temperature range I believe is 54 degrees to -8. It has a 43 quart capacity. The rough outer dimensions are 24" long 20" high and 18" wide. With shipping and everything included it cost $395.00. It is working great an is really quiet.
Old 03-27-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
check out Rparts online and Kolmans marine refrigeration book for some good info about boat refrigeration, caution, one simple project will lead to another. The Need for batteries then how to charge it and the list goes on. Lots of boats out there and buyers have the upper hand. Take your time looking. You want to do as little as you can, as upgrades get expensive and it is never just that simple. You just want to sail. Best of luck
Old 03-27-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmerc View Post
Back Creek,

I live on and keep my boat on Back Creek. I have seen the C&C you are looking at. There are lots of comparable boats for sale in Annapolis that need less work.
Actually I've seen several cruisers in better shape in the same price range. And I've seen a lot of J30's Tartan 30s, etc... but I really want a wheel drive boat (rather than tiller), that falls into the racer/cruiser class of handling.

If we're talking about the same boat, my assessment so far is that it appears to be a solid, reasonably fast, 30' boat that's already in ready to sail condition. Most of what it needs is cosmetic work that will require a lot more in sweat equity than it will in actual material costs.
Old 03-27-2009
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by funsailthekeys View Post
I just installed a small sub- zero freezer from Compact Appliances. It's AC/DC and runs on 4 amps when on hard freeze. The compressor is 12 volts so I just hard wired it in on a breaker. The temperature range I believe is 54 degrees to -8. It has a 43 quart capacity. The rough outer dimensions are 24" long 20" high and 18" wide. With shipping and everything included it cost $395.00. It is working great an is really quiet.
Funsail - Which model did you buy? Any chance you could post a picture of the install?
Old 03-27-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
An alternative to consider is just purchasing a small dorm style AC only fridge. If all you do is daily trip here and there or casual weekend sailing, it would be good enough for fresh food stowage during the week. A friend of mine with a Tartan did exactly that - replaced the propane stove with one. Uses the freezer portion to freeze bottles of water (add salt to the water - I use fruit drink containers myself (Such as that from Ocean Spray) - to extend the freezing / and slow down the melt). Places those containers into the cooler and it is enough to save on buying bags of ice and the drainage issues sometimes associated with coolers. They picked one up at Sears or somewhere for like $120 bucks. Not ideal for being on the hook for extended periods of time - but it all depends on how you will use and what the intentions are.

I personally - use two Waeco AC/DC coolers onboard "HG" and intend on retrofitting one cooler box with the compressor / cooling plate from one I tore apart. The portability of the Waeco ones, makes it easy to take them to beach via dingy, have one topside etc... While battery juice is a consideration - I find that running two of them on DC power, is about 1/20th of what all the Raymarine crap I have onboard drains. To get the best efficiency out of them if you go that route - 24 hours before you take off for a weekend, place on turbo mode and set to almost freezing, or for fresh perishable items up 2 additional notches while still on AC. They literally can retain the temp without being plugged in for the weekend that way.

Pricier option is consider a three way (propane, dc, ac) Dometic (owned by Waeco now).

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-27-2009
1979 C&C 30 Mk I - 2QM15

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsanta View Post
check out Rparts online and Kolmans marine refrigeration book for some good info about boat refrigeration, caution, one simple project will lead to another. The Need for batteries then how to charge it and the list goes on. Lots of boats out there and buyers have the upper hand. Take your time looking. You want to do as little as you can, as upgrades get expensive and it is never just that simple. You just want to sail. Best of luck
I'm not sold on the idea of a fridge that requires power if I'm going to have to put in $1000 worth of electrical upgrades just to run a $300 fridge. But the cabinet space in the C&C 30 where the original icebox went is cavernous. So I'm just looking at the best possible way to utilize as much of that space as I can rather than just going back to the original configuration that puts a drop ice box in the top and essentially leaves the entire bottom half of that cabinet empty.
Old 03-27-2009

badsanta is on a distinguished road
I understand completely about that. Just trying to get a bigger picture for you.