Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-28-2009
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Handheld Spotlight Recommendation?

Hi everone,
I didn't find any threads on this, so I figured I'd start one. For our trip to bring our "new" boat home in the spring, we'd like to have a handheld spotlight on board. When I started checking online for reviews, etc., it seems most had somewhat poor reviews (complaints of product not working, etc). So here I am asking for a recommendation.

We're looking for a handheld, probably a rechargeable, since we don't yet have a 12v outlet in the cockpit, and won't likely have that before the trip. Ideally, it would be rechargeable by 12v DC (at least). Although these are not expensive items, when you need one, you NEED one. So we want to make sure it's reliable. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
-J
Old 03-28-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
For a low cost solution - look into bicycle helmet lighting. More than enough to handle your needs (as long as someone doesn't look directly at you. ) Most headlamps worn this manner have red leds, etc.. For serious lighting - you'll need to put a 12 volt cig receptacle that will allow you to use the more mainstream hand held lighting solutions..

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2009
Unpaid Intern

Thanks Jody. I'm thinking we'll need the more serious kind--well, actually I hope we won't need it at all. But what I mean is, we're looking for a spotlight that will do things like help us get into a coastal inlet at night.

I could always get an extension cable/jack for a 12v outlet down below as a temporary fix. Just wondering if the rechargables are a good alternative.

Also wondering about the LED spotlights, and if they are bright enough.
-J
Old 03-28-2009

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Thanks Jody. I'm thinking we'll need the more serious kind--well, actually I hope we won't need it at all. But what I mean is, we're looking for a spotlight that will do things like help us get into a coastal inlet at night.

I could always get an extension cable/jack for a 12v outlet down below as a temporary fix. Just wondering if the rechargables are a good alternative.

Also wondering about the LED spotlights, and if they are bright enough.
-J
LED - more than enough... seriously. I have a remote hard mounted spotlight on deck, + a 12 volt handheld full halogen spotlight - what has worked best was the headband led types..

Just my experience...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 03-28-2009
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
LED - more than enough... seriously. I have a remote hard mounted spotlight on deck, + a 12 volt handheld full halogen spotlight - what has worked best was the headband led types..

Just my experience...
Something like these guys from Optronics?

Old 03-28-2009

quidam1947 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam1947
Ditto on the headlamp types as this was our favorite, too. Ours have retractable elastic bands. We used to have the cloth-type headband ones but they tend to get 'stretched out' too much.

Regarding a Rechargable "handheld" Spotlight - try to find one that will allow you to use it while it's being recharged - nothing more frustrating that finding a dead battery when you need to use it in a hurry.

Michele
Old 03-28-2009

quidam1947 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam1947
Most of our stuff is packed away so I couldn't get the exact model of what we carried on "Amphora" but we have a multi-purpose Ryobi rechargeable set that has the spotlight and drill and dustbuster all-in-one. This is what I found online:

Ryobi ZRP813 Factory-Reconditioned One+ 18V Cordless Lithium-Ion Drill Kit

Last edited by quidam1947; 03-28-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2009

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
We've run through several variants of the rechargeable "Million Candlepower" lights -- none of which lasted very long. We currently have one that plugs in. You don't need them often, but when you do they are valuable additions to the boat's kit. One problem I've had with the really powerful lights is that they destroy your night vision because they light up the foreground (deck house, rigging, and immediate surroundings). Most of the time we get by with less powerful lights, e.g. 6V flashlights.
Old 03-28-2009
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
flashlights / spot lights

Jim

I think you need an M6 Guardian flashlight from SureFire! 500 lumens! Urrggg! More power!

And, because it will be my birthday soon, you can get me one as well.

Check out the price tag!

Rik
Old 03-28-2009

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
He's right - bright lights blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyruffn View Post
We've run through several variants of the rechargeable "Million Candlepower" lights -- none of which lasted very long. We currently have one that plugs in. You don't need them often, but when you do they are valuable additions to the boat's kit. One problem I've had with the really powerful lights is that they destroy your night vision because they light up the foreground (deck house, rigging, and immediate surroundings). Most of the time we get by with less powerful lights, e.g. 6V flashlights.
Like billyruffin, we have a spotlight, put away. We use a Maglight 2 D. It focuses a tight beam so we can pick out markers a good way off, but is not so bright as to blind and is much more controllable. Clearly, you want to have a number of good flashlights on board. Headlamps too.

I haven't used the spotlight in years.

An underwater dive light - a small one - is very useful too. A real lifesaver when you drop something you need.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Last edited by pdqaltair; 03-28-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: addition